These Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are made with whole wheat flour, coconut sugar and semi-sweet chocolate chips. It tastes as good as the traditional recipes!
Few weeks ago I saw this delicious Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipe on the blog Half Baked Harvest and I totally said to myself that I must make this recipe some day. So, when my nephew and niece from Montreal came to visit us in Toronto, I thought this was the best opportunity to make these chocolate bars. They love chocolate and every thing that envolves it. But I didn’t want to give them some treat full of sugar and unhealthy ingredients. They really enjoyed it and it was gone in two days 😉
So, this recipe calls for coconut sugar, which is more natural than refined sugar. Of course if in your area is difficult to find coconut sugar you can order it only here or you can simply use brown sugar. Also I used whole wheat flour. It provides you more fiber and more nutrients than a white flour. And last but not least I used semi-sweet chocolate chips that are darker and less sweet.
Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – These Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are made with whole wheat flour, coconut sugar and semi-sweet chocolate chips. It tastes as good as the traditional recipes!
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup coconut or granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the butter and coconut sugar. It’s about 2 minutes.
- Then, add the almond butter and mix until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again until it is creamy.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and 1 tablespoon water.
- Mix to combine all the ingredients together.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold in.
- Press the dough firmly into a greased 9×13” baking dish.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares.
Adapted from Half Baked Harvest.
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
If you like this Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More delicious treat recipes: