Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
Turn your traditional deviled eggs recipe into a delicious, nutritious and protein-packed appetizer. How? Using creamy pureed lentil, mustard and olive oil. On top of that, you have anchovies and chives for garnishing. I am sure you will love these Lentils Deviled Eggs!!
I have to make a confession today!! I am a passionate EGG LOVER. Yes, I AM and if my mom, sister and husband are reading this post right now they are probably saying, “Yes, she is TOTALY crazy about eggs!! I LOVE them so much that I could eat eggs three meals a day! It is so surprising that I’ve never posted a recipe with eggs being the main ingredient before???
So, why I am saying all this about eggs??!! Well, because I would like you imagine how I reacted the first time I was introduced to deviled eggs. I can remember like it was yesterday when I was at a neighbour’s birthday party and saw those goodies on the table. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I said to my husband “what is that? Real eggs?” He laughed liked I was nuts and was incredibly surprised that I’ve never tried this simple recipe before. I said to him “do you forget I am from Brazil? There we don’t have this recipe or at least I’ve never seen it there”!! This recipe is so popular here in North American and in Europe too, but I don’t think it is very well known in Latin America. After that day, every time I go to a party here in Canada I’m always expecting to have some deviled eggs and I get very disappointed if I don’t see some ;-(
I wanted to make this recipe so badly and since I’m participating in the Canadian Lentils Recipe Revelations Challenge. I thought this is a great opportunity to make this Lentil Deviled Eggs because I would like to re-create something that is a traditional recipe from North American, but with a different twist. So, why not to make Lentils Deviled Eggs, right? At first I didn’t think it was going to be as good as the original recipe, but for my delightful surprise it was AWESOME!! And look, this is not my opinion; this is my husband’s opinion. Believe me, when he says something is good, it must be because he is extremely demanding with food. You know… He is French-Canadian and the French have this thing about food, right?? Just kidding babe 😉
This recipe is very easy and simple like cracking an egg!! You just need 1/2 cup of cooked red lentils that you will puree in the food processor, 6 boiled eggs, mustard, olive oil, juice lemon and for garnishing chives and anchovies. I mean how simple is that? This appetizer is not only simple, but delicious and very healthy too since they are packed with a source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. So, let’s jump to the Lentil Deviled Eggs recipe instructions and go to have fun making my favourite appetizer in the world 😉
I hope you enjoy this healthy, nutritious and gluten free snack or appetizer as much as I do. Thanks a lot for reading.
Want to browse all of my healthy recipe posts? Follow my Primavera Kitchen Board on Pinterest!!! For this period of the year I also have great Pinterest Boards such as Healthy Dinner, Healthy Winter Recipes, Healthy Slow Cooker Meals and Soups and Stews. I hope you enjoy all the delicious and healthy recipes I have there!!
- 12 eggs
- ⅕ cup cooked red lentils
- 6 yolks (from the hardboiled eggs)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard (yellow or dijon)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder (optional)
- Chopped chives and anchovies for garnishing
- Place the eggs in a medium-large pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, turn the heat to medium and hard-boil the eggs for 12–15 minutes, depending on their size.
- Turn off the heat, allowing the eggs to sit in hot water for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the water and set aside to cool.
- When the eggs are cool, peel and cut in half lengthwise.
- Gently scoop out the center yolk and set aside.
- In a food processor, puree ½ cup cooked red lentil with 1tbsp olive oil.
- When the mixture is completely smooth and creamy add mustard, juice of half a lemon, salt and garlic powder (optional) and puree it for 30 seconds or so.
- Place filling into a piping bag, or a ziplock bag with the tip cut off.
- Pipe filling into the center of each egg white, distributing filling evenly among the egg whites.
- Top with chopped chives and anchovies.
- Enjoy right away, or keep refrigerated for about 5 days.
If you like this recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates.
Do you want to try more delicious appetizers?
Please, try my Eggplant Pizza Bites.
You would enjoy this delicious Polenta with Tomato Sauce, Balsamic Onions and Feta also.