These Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones are gluten-free and made with almond flour, shredded coconut and fresh juicy strawberries.
I have to confess something: this is the first time that I made scones in my life! Yep! Shame on me! That’s ridiculous, right? How come a food blogger has never made scones in her life?!! Well I have a good explanation for that. I wasn’t born in North America. So, in Brazil we don’t really have this delicious dessert to enjoy. I know I’ve been living in Canada for years now and for this reason I should have made scones before especially because they are awesome. But I finally decided to make a scone recipe that is amazing and perfect for this time of the year. 😘👏
I’m talking about these low-carb strawberry coconut scones that I found on one of my favorite food blogs Eat Good 4 Life. Miryam created this recipe with almond flour, which made me very interested to try because I love to bake with almond flour. But instead of using unrefined sugar I used a natural sweetener called Swerve. It’s great if you are on a low-carb diet and/or if you are trying to control your diabetes, since Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that does not affect blood glucose and has zero calories.
I prefer to buy the granulated form of this because it measures spoon for spoon in place of sugar, which is great for baking. Of course if you don’t have any problem to use normal sugar you can use in this low-carb strawberry coconut scones recipe too.
Because this low-carb strawberry coconut scones recipe is gluten-free, made with almond flour (affiliate link), the texture is not the same as the traditional scone recipes. However, I’m sure you’ll be very please with the flavor, especially with the fresh, sweet and tart strawberries.
The shredded coconut also adds another layer of flavour that you can’t imagine. These low-carb strawberry coconut scones are perfect, soft, crumbly and healthy. For sure, it is the perfect scones to make during strawberry season.
Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones
This Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones are gluten-free and made with almond flour, shredded coconut and fresh juicy strawberries.
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup natural sweetener Swerve or xylitol
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line with parchment paper a 9 inch round baking pan, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the cake/scone out when it’s done. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, add the egg, coconut oil, sweetener and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the almond flour, cornstarch, shredded coconut and baking powder until just incorporated.
- Add the strawberries and with your hands incorporate them into the batter.
- Remove the batter from the mixer bowl to the prepared baking pan. Spread the batter evenly. If you prefer you can sprinkle some coarse sugar or granulated sweetener over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes before remove from the pan.
- Lift the scones up from the pan and cut into 8 pieces.
Yield: 8, Serving Size: 1/8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 222
- Total Fat: 19.3g
- Saturated Fat: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Sodium: 12mg
- Carbohydrates: 13.3g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7.6g
- Protein: 1.3g
Adapted from Eat Good 4 Life.// All images and text ©
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
So, I hope you enjoy this Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones recipe and try to make some in your own kitchen today. If you like this recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.