Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
This cheesy and saucy Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Skillet is one-pan meal that has a delicious sauté mushroom filling, which brings this gluten-free lasagna to a new level on flavour. It’s also very simple to assemble in a skillet.
Here at my home we love zucchini lasagnas. We are always trying to reduce the amount of white carbs we eat and no noodles lasagna seems to be the perfect solution for us, since we love lasagna and we can’t live without eating it. Also this time of the year we crave more comfort foods, right? And who said comfort foods can’t be healthy?! This lasagna recipe proves absolutely the opposite. This recipe is healthier than the traditional lasagna recipe because it’s made with zucchini instead of noodles, part-skim ricotta and mozzarella cheese, one egg and tomato sauce.
Now since this low carb zucchini lasagna skillet recipe calls for only few ingredients you have probably noticed that the tomato sauce must be a very good quality one because this is what will bring flavor for this recipe. So, you can make your homemade tomato sauce (click here for a delicious tomato sauce recipe) or you can buy one that you like with excellent ingredients.
Last note I would like to leave here to make sure your lasagna will be delicious, is to use first kosher salt to pull moisture out of the zucchini slices then rinse and pat dry before you assemble your lasagna. I know this is an extra work, but it’s so worth it because you will avoid your lasagna from becoming too soggy with all the extra liquid that comes out of the zucchini. If you want after this step you can even grill or broil the slices of the zucchini before assembling it, but I found it wasn’t necessary for me since I don’t mind a little liquid in it.
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 16oz mushroom, sliced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded 4 cups homemade tomato sauce or your favorite tomato sauce
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the zucchini length-wise into long and thin slices (about ¼-inch thick).
- Then layer paper towels on your countertop, spread the zucchini slices and sprinkle them with kosher salt.
- Wait for 10-15 minutes to allow the excess liquid to be absorbed. Pat dry. (This step is very important to make before assembling your lasagna because it will help to draw out the moisture!)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes until they are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and an egg. Stir well.
- Using the same skillet you sautéed the mushrooms, spread some tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Layer 6 or 7 zucchini slices to cover.
- Place some of the ricotta cheese mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Add again another layer of tomato sauce and then add the mushrooms.
- Repeat the layers until all your ingredients are all used up.
- Top with sauce and mozzarella.
- Bake 40 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.
- Let stand about 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with parley.
If you like this Low Carb Zucchini Lasagna Skillet recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Zucchini Lasagna Recipes: