This Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato only requires 6 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep and it is a healthy, and easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
Since the beginning of January, my husband and I are trying to eat even healthier than before by trying to reduce the amount of sugar in our diet and also eating out less often. So far so good! Sometimes I feel the huge desire to eat a white chocolate bar or maple cookies because those two things are my weakness. Last year, I used to eat white chocolate 3 times a week, but now I am just having it once a month. Pretty good for a girl like me! Believe me.
Since I am on maternity leave, I’m always preparing and eating my meals here at home and I’ve been doing a lot of meal prep on Sundays for my husband to bring to work. Because my time is very tight (my 11 months boy requires a lot of my time), I have a tendency to make one-pan meals using a skillet, a pan sheet, or slow cooker. It’s just easier and quicker to make, right?
Last week, I made this slow cooker chicken and sweet potato recipe and we had it for a few days. Even my baby Thomas enjoyed it a lot. He loves sweet potato and the chicken was very tender, which made it easier for him to eat. However, sweet potatoes cook very fast and they tend to be a little soggy if you cook them for a long time.
So, if you think your sweet potato is already cooked after 3 hours, I suggest removing the sweet potato from the slow cooker and keep cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. Of course, each slow cooker has a different power. Maybe in three hours your sweet potato and the chicken will be cooked through, but maybe not. So, after three hours of cooking, check the sweet potato and then the chicken every 30 minutes.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato (Meal Prep)
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato only requires 6-ingredient, 10 minutes to prep and it is a healthy and easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoon ghee
• 6 Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
• ½ tsp. sea salt
• ¼ tsp. pepper
• Cooking oil spray
• 1.5 lbs. sweet potatoes, cut in small pieces
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (save some for garnishing)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
- In a skillet over medium high add olive oil and butter.
- While the butter is melting, season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown. Set chicken aside.
- Grease the slow cooker pot with cooking spray and place sweet potatoes into it.
- Stir in garlic and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker in an even layer.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- If you think your sweet potato is already cooked after 3 hours, remove the sweet potato to avoid it from becoming soggy and keep cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary before serving.
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
If you like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Slow Cooker Recipes: