This Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe is a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make meal that will be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. This is gluten-free, whole30, paleo, and perfect for your busy weeknight dinner.
I’m sure you’ll love this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe because it’s delicious and you’ll need only three ingredients to make it: chicken, sweet potato, and asparagus. Of course you’ll add some seasoning such as garlic, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes, but technically, they don’t count as ingredients, right? Another good point about this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe is that it’ll be ready and on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. So grab your skillet, cutting board, and your chef knife and chop all the ingredients. This is the only hard work you will have. Awesome! It is easy as pie. Believe me!
This recipe was first published in May 2016. I updated it in June 2018 with new pictures and content.
I had to start this post saying thank you for all the emails I got from my last post when I was talking about my sleepless night. You guys were so sweet. I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice. You mamas are AWESOME! Like many of you said, he will sleep better soon. Well, he is already better because it’s been about two nights that he sleeps for two hours straight in his crib. I can’t believe it. I consider it a great start. Let’s try to be positive, correct?
Now let’s talk about today’s recipe, which is so delicious, easy to make, gluten-free, and also paleo friendly. This asparagus and sweet potato with chicken is a great combination of flavors and perfect for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner.
Should I use a cast iron skillet to make this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe?
No, you can make this recipe with any kind of skillet you have in your kitchen. BUT, I really recommend you have a cast iron skillet for so many reasons. This type of skillet is great for cooking on high heat. It’s also tough and durable and on top of that it gets better with use. Another reason why I love cast iron skillet is that you only need a thin layer of oil to cook the food evenly without burning it. This is great, becasue you can cut down on cooking oil. It’s also an awesome skillet for roasting, sautéing, grilling, broiling and shallow frying in a small quantity of oil, which means you can make almost everything with it.
And as iron is an essential mineral for our bodies, there is no problem if some amount of this metal leaches into your food while you’re cooking with a cast iron skillet. It’s actually a good thing. I have three cast iron skillets and I have to say that I can’t live without it. You can a variety of skillets on Amazon (I really love this one here) for very good price or store like Walmart and Target.
How to make this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet:
What you need to do is to cut the chicken into small pieces so it will cook though nice and easily. Sauté the chicken in an iron cast skillet to add more flavor to the chicken. Then set it aside and cook the veggies in the same skillet.
I suggest you cook first the sweet potato because it takes more time to be ready and then you add asparagus to the skillet. Once the asparagus is cooked, bring the chicken back to the skillet and stir everything really well.
Season this recipe according to your preference. I love a little bit of heat in my food, so I added more than ½ teaspoon of red chili flakes, but it is totally up to you.
You can even add cumin, coriander, garlic powder, or any other type of spice you like. The options are limitless. I am sure you will really love this recipe. Enjoy!
More cast iron skillet recipes to try:
- Shrimp Vegetable Skillet recipe: If you love recipes with lots of veggies and good protein, this is definitely the recipe for you. It’s one-pan meal and great as leftovers.
- Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Skillet: This is one of the most popular recipes on the blog and I know why: it’s easy, delicious and super healthy!
- Garlic Shrimp Asparagus Skillet: Just another easy meal for your busy weeknight dinner.
- Creamy Parmesan Shrimp Skillet: It’s full of flavors that you’ll think you are eating a gourmet meal!
- Sweet Potato, Kale and Shrimp Skillet: The easiest recipe on the blog and yet so flavourful.
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast: Your whole family will love it and ask for more. I promise!
- Ground Turkey Skillet with Green Beans: You’ll need only three ingredients to make this delicious meal.
Video of the Recipe: Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet
Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet
This Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe is a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make meal that will be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. This is gluten-free, paleo, and perfect for your busy weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and ground fresh black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- ½ lb (225 g) fresh asparagus (the spears should be cut at a diagonal in 1 and 2 inch pieces)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- On a plastic board, cut the chicken into small pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, and chicken.
- Sauté the chicken for about 7-10 minutes or until it is cooked through. Don’t forget to stir well. Set chicken aside.
- In the same skillet, add sweet potato and chicken broth.
- Cook for about 7-10minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked.
- Add asparagus and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page here.
Yield: 4, Serving Size: 1/4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 233
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 99.3mg
- Carbohydrates: 9.1g
- Sugar: 2.3g
- Protein: 32g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
If you like this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
As a memory, I kept the original photo from 2016!