These delicious and healthy Eggplant Pizza Bites are low-carb, gluten-free, and very flavourful!! They are made with homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella, and spinach!
I love easy and delicious recipes that the whole family loves. These simple eggplant pizza bites are one of those recipes where I don’t have to convince my family to try. The second they see the cheese, they’re already reaching for them! No one even notices the eggplant underneath. These make for the perfect healthy low-carb snack or meal.
Inspired by Eat Good 4 Life‘s eggplant pizza recipe, these delicious pizza bites feature my homemade tomato sauce and a whole lot of fresh mozzarella! Everything just tastes better from scratch so I prefer a homemade sauce whenever possible. Even better, you can use any type of tomatoes for the sauce, for example, cherry tomatoes. Use whatever you have in your kitchen. Want another low carb recipe to go alongside this? Try my Low-Carb Cauliflower Bites Recipe.
How to Make Eggplant Pizza Bites Recipe
- Eggplant — Slice your eggplants as evenly as possible. You will have about 11 slices. When buying eggplant, it should be heavy for its size. Smaller globe eggplants have fewer seeds if you prefer. You might have to get two.
- Olive oil — Or use whatever oil you have.
- Homemade tomato sauce — I prefer homemade but if you use a store-bought sauce, try to buy sauce that has a short ingredient list to avoid any fillers or added sugars.
- Fresh mozzarella — I love how nicely freshly sliced mozzarella melts. If you only have shredded cheese, you can swap for that as well. However, I love fresh mozzarella as it has a soft, milky texture. Another option is mozzarella di bufala is made with the milk of water buffalo which has a tangier taste.
- Fresh basil — I love the flavor added with the basil.
- Fresh oregano — Oregano compliments the basil very well.
Prepare the Eggplants
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the eggplant slices and drizzle olive oil on top.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
Bake and Top the Eggplants
- Bake the eggplant slices for about 7-10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and spread tomato sauce over each eggplant slice.
- Transfer the eggplants back to the oven and broil for about 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Enjoy!
- If you don’t have fresh sliced mozzarella, you can use shredded mozzarella.
- For shredded cheese, it’s ideal you shred your own cheese. Storebought shredded cheese is usually coated in a powder to prevent them from sticking and it won’t melt very well.
- Did you buy extra eggplant, you have to try my Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna (Web Story)! Want to make some regular pizza? Try my Kale, Peppers, Red Onions Pizza, or make your own with my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough.
- In a pinch, a store-bought marinara sauce works as well!
- Dried herbs can be used in place of fresh herbs, it just won’t look as pretty.
Do I Peel Eggplant Before Cooking?
I don’t peel my eggplant before slicing. It’s edible and it also adds some colour to the eggplant pizza bites! The skin is also nutritious, loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. While some may find eggplant skin to taste a little bitter, there isn’t a lot here, when sliced, that it’s not too noticeable. The flavors from the cheese and tomato sauce mask any bitterness.
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Store the eggplant pizza bites in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Avoid leaving it uncovered as it can easily take on the scents of the fridge. When ready to eat, you can reheat the bites in the oven or enjoy them cold.
Want to change things up and add some more toppings? Here are some ideas of what to add:
- sliced mushrooms
- sliced bell peppers
- sliced red onions
- bacon crumbles
- cherry tomatoes
Need some ideas of what to serve with these eggplant bites? Try these recipes:
- Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe: Made with just five simple ingredients, you can make this Air Fryer Asparagus recipe in a jiffy! It only takes a couple of minutes to make and is super hands-off thanks to the air fryer.
- Cabbage Steak Recipe: This cabbage steak recipe is quick, easy, and full of flavor. Make this low carb meal for dinner tonight – it only takes 30 minutes!
- Chicken and Mushroom Recipe: Simplify your weeknight dinner with this Chicken and Mushroom Recipe. This requires little effort and it is very flavourful. Make this recipe in only 20 minutes!
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites Skillet Recipe: Garlic Butter Steak Bites are a delicious and easy way to enjoy a steak dinner on a weeknight. This skillet steak recipe is quick to make; dinner is ready in 15 minutes!
Watch the Web Stories HERE.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the eggplant slices and drizzle olive oil on top. Season them with salt and pepper.
- Bake them for about 7-10 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and spread tomato sauce over each eggplant slice.
- Then add mozzarella, chopped basil and oregano on the top of each eggplant slice.
- Bring the eggplants to the oven again and broil for about 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
- Adapted from Eat Good 4 Life.
- There is no need to peel the eggplant before using.
- Try adding other diced vegetables as toppings. See the blog post for some suggestions!
- You can use shredded mozzarella if you do not have sliced mozzarella.
- To store: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: You can reheat these bites in the oven or enjoy them cold.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.