Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a very simple yet hearty slow cooker stew with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and herbs.
Servings 4 people
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cups carrots cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 turnips cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 parsnip cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth whole30-friendly beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped, for garnishing
Place the onions, carrots, celery, red potatoes, turnips, parsnips, tomato paste, beef broth, dried thyme, dried parsley, oregano, and dried bay leaves into a large slow cooker. Add the stew meat to a large bowl, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Toss the meat until it is fully coated, and set aside.
Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a skillet.
Add the garlic, and sauté for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the meat, and let the beef cook without stirring for a few minutes to brown the meat on one side.
Stir, and repeat until all sides of the beef pieces are browned.
Add the browned beef to the slow cooker, and stir to combine with the vegetables.
Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on high for 5 hours. After 5 hours, taste the stew, and adjust the salt if needed. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Serving: 1/4 | Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.4g | Protein: 27.7g | Fat: 12.5g | Cholesterol: 66.9mg | Sodium: 825.1mg | Sugar: 13.9g