Turnip and Carrot Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This is the perfect time of the year to load yourself up on hearty comfort foods like this delicious and healthy Turnip and Carrot Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
Servings 6 people
Place the onions, carrots, celery, turnips, tomato paste, beef broth, dried thyme, dried parsley, oregano, and dried bay leaves into a large slow cooker. Add the stew meat in a large bowl and season liberally with salt and pepper. Toss the meat until it is fully coated. Set the meat aside. Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a skillet.
Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds or until fragrant is released.
Add the meat and let the beef cook without stirring for a few minutes to allow the meat to brown on one side.
Stir and repeat until all sides of the beef pieces are browned.
Add the cooked beef to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the vegetables.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for five hours. After five hours, taste the stew and adjust the salt if needed. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- I recommend peeling the carrots and turnips before dicing. You can peel a turnip like you would a potato.
- Do not skip browning the meat in a skillet before adding to a slow cooker as it adds a ton of flavour to the dish.
- When browning the meat, you may have to do so in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot.
- To store: Store leftover stew in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- To reheat: You can reheat the stew in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- To freeze: Freeze leftover stew in a freezer-safe container once its cooled for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1/6 | Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 750mg | Potassium: 854mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g