Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie – Give a healthy spin in your traditional shepherd’s pie recipe by making it with mashed cauliflower. It’s very filling, low-carb, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and the most important very DELICIOUS!
I’m writing this post in a hotel bed at 5:30 in the morning before leaving to visit more beautiful places in Montevideo, Uruguay. We are here with two more friends on vacation until Friday and after that we are heading to Buenos Aires, Argentina. So far we are loving everything we’ve seen and visited. Montevideo is a great place to visit because it’s the safest city in South America, has lots of green areas to spend time with your kids, the traffic in the city is very smooth, people are extremely polite and of course the food is AH-mazing! If you like beef, pork, chicken and seafood it’s the place to visit. Also, the dulce de leche and the alfajores are to die for. I can’t even count how many of these I ate already (ops… it was suppose to be a secret.. lol). Anyway… We are all amaze by this city! Soon I’ll be writing a blog post with more detail about our trip. Please, stay tune!
And speaking about delicious foods what about making this low-carb and paleo friendly Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s pie to warm up your home and make it smells good?! I am sure you will love this recipe because what’s not to love?
This is similar to a traditional Shepherd’s Pie, just with a little change of the potatoes for cauliflower. If you’ve already made mashed cauliflower before you know that it is as flavourful as mashed potatoes and it makes a great combo with the ground turkey filling as well. I didn’t add cheese on the top or butter because I want to make it healthier as possible, but you can add if you want.
This is the perfect fall meal to enjoy with you family siting around the table and talk about your day. Isn’t that awesome when you can fill your family with a healthy meal and they all can all enjoy? This shepherd’s pie is perfect for that. This is also s low carb, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and YUMMY!
- For the Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut up into florets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper
- For the filling
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup can of corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a big pot, bring water to a boil and add cauliflower.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain in a colander.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a food processor, add 1 tbsp olive oil and garlic and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add carrots, salt and pepper. Cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add in the ground turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into chunks and cook until it is not pink anymore.
- Add in the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and ½ cup chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add peas, corn and thyme. Stir well to combine and cook for two minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed..
- Spread the mashed cauliflower over the turkey mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges of the mashed cauliflower are browned.
- Rest the pie for about 15 minutes before serving.
Please, if you recreate this recipe, please take a picture and hash tag #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version.
And if you like this Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
One more Shepherd’s Pie recipe!