If you want to cut the white potatoes out of your diet, try this Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie, which has all of the flavours of winter comfort food.
I can’t believe we are in March already and about two week for spring to arrive. Isn’t that crazy?! It was like yesterday that I was in Montreal celebrating Christmas with my family and now it is about 10 degrees Celsius (50F) outside, snow is melting and the green leaves are coming out. How exciting is that?! I mean who doesn’t like the longer days and the warmer temperatures? I was raised in Brazil so you can image how much I miss the sun and hot weather. I am more than ready for the spring and summer time.Although I can’t wait for spring to arrive I have to confess that I love comforting and rich winter food. I eat winter food even when it is summer time. For example I love all types of soup and casseroles dishes are the best for me. For this reason today I am sharing this delicious Shepherd’s pie with you because I love eating it all year.But I decided to give this recipe a modern twist using sweet potatoes as the topping instead of white potato. I know that the lovers of traditional recipes are going to kill me for that, but I just love sweet potato and I think it is such a good solution for those who want to cut the high carb potatoes out of their diets. I am sure you will love this recipe if you give it a try. Please, trust me and you won’t regret it. Not a fan of sweet potato? Try this Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie! Cauliflower is so easy to turn into mash as well and goes with everything, like this Shrimp Cauliflower Mash Bowl.
Are you making this for a holiday menu? Try adding this Ground Turkey White Bean Kale Soup and Blender Brazilian Shrimp Pie to the menu. Want a dessert to go with this shepherd’s pie? Try this Gluten-free No Bake Peanut Butter Pie!
Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie Recipe
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
For the sweet potatoes:
- In a large pot bring water to a boil. Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover and cook until the potatoes are tender. It is about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are done, drain and return the potatoes to the large pot.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, almond milk, salt and pepper.
For the filling:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook until browned.
- Add the ground beef and cook through. It is about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomato sauce, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add peas, stir well and cook for 1 minute.
- Then transfer the filling to a greasy baking dish.
- Add the mashed sweet potatoes on top of the filling and spread it evenly using a rubber spatula.
- Bake until the sweet potatoes are browned. It will take about 20 minutes
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Sweet Potato Recipes!