This Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe is a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make meal that will be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. This is gluten-free, whole30, paleo, and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
I’m sure you’ll love this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe because it’s delicious, and you only need three ingredients to make it: chicken, sweet potato, and asparagus. Of course, you’ll add some seasoning such as garlic, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes, but technically, they don’t count as ingredients, right?
Another good point about this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe is that it’ll be ready and on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. So, grab your skillet, cutting board, and your chef knife, and chop all the ingredients. This is the only hard work you will have. Awesome! It is easy as pie. Believe me!
This recipe was first published in May 2016. I updated it in June 2018 with new pictures and content.
I want to start this post by saying thank you for all the emails I received after my last post where I talked about my sleepless night. You guys were so sweet. I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice. You mamas are AWESOME! Like many of you said, he will sleep better soon. Well, he is already better because for two nights he slept for two hours straight in his crib. I can’t believe it. I consider it a great start. Let’s try to be positive, correct?
Now, let’s talk about today’s recipe, which is so delicious, easy-to-make, gluten-free, and also paleo-friendly. This combination of asparagus and sweet potato with chicken is perfect for a quick, flavourful, and healthy weeknight dinner.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
Do I have to use a cast iron skillet for this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe?
No, you can make this recipe with any kind of skillet you have in your kitchen. BUT, I really recommend a cast iron skillet for so many reasons. This skillet is great for cooking on high heat. It’s also tough and durable, and on top of that, it gets better with use. Another reason why I love cast iron skillet is that you only need a thin layer of oil to cook the food evenly without burning it. This is great because you can cut down on cooking oil. It’s also an awesome skillet for roasting, sautéing, grilling, broiling, and shallow frying in a small quantity of oil, which means you can make almost everything in it.
And as iron is an essential mineral for our bodies, there is no problem if some amount of this metal leaches into your food while you’re cooking with a cast iron skillet. It’s actually a good thing. I have three cast iron skillets, and I have to say that I can’t live without them. You can find a variety of skillets on Amazon (I really love this one) for very good prices or at stores like Walmart and Target.
How to make this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet:
Cut the chicken into small pieces so that it will cook through. Sauté the chicken in a cast iron skillet to add more flavour. Then, set it aside, and cook the veggies in the same skillet.
I suggest you first cook the sweet potatoes because they take more time, and then add the asparagus to the skillet. Once the asparagus is cooked, put the chicken back into the skillet, and stir everything really well. Asparagus is such an easy and delicious vegetable. If you have extra, you should use it up in my Parmesan Lemon Asparagus Skillet.
Season this recipe according to your preference. I love a little bit of heat in my food, so I added more than ½ teaspoon of red chili flakes, but it is totally up to you.
You can even add cumin, coriander, garlic powder, or any other spice you like. The options are limitless. I am sure you will really love this recipe. Enjoy!
I’m obsessed with my cast iron. It should a great kitchen tool. You should try these 50 Healthy Cast Iron Skillet Recipes and 15 Healthy Skillet Dinner Recipes that use a cast iron. Or try my Shrimp Vegetable Skillet!
More cast iron skillet recipes to try:
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast: This recipe is a perfect meal for a weeknight dinner and requires only 4 ingredients.
- Sweet Potato, Kale and Shrimp Skillet: The easiest recipe on the blog to make, yet so flavourful.
- Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet: This recipe is a one-pan meal that will be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes.
- Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet: You will be amazed by the flavour of this recipe. It’s a perfect ONE-PAN meal for your family.
See below for how to make this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet Recipe:
Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet
- 1 pound free-range organic boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground fresh black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and diced
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- ½ pound fresh asparagus cut at a diagonal in 1 and 2-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- On a cutting board, cut the chicken into small pieces, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, garlic, and chicken.
- Sauté the chicken for about 7-10 minutes or until it is cooked through. Don’t forget to stir well. Set the chicken mixture aside.
- In the same skillet, add the sweet potatoes and chicken broth. Cover the pan with a lid. This step is very important becuase it'll help the sweet potato to cook fast.
- Cook for about 7-10minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- Add the asparagus, and cook for about 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Do you love asparagus recipes? Click here to check out all the delicious and easy asparagus recipes from Primavera Kitchen. And, here is the complete list for all the healthy sweet potato recipes, too.
- It’s important that heat well the olive oil in the pan before adding the chicken to give this brown and nice look to the chicken.
- Always wash and dry the asparagus thoroughly before using.
- You can snap off the tough ends as they'll naturally break at the woody part. Remove the ends as they're tough to eat.
- To store: Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat the leftovers in the microwave until heated through.
- To freeze: Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
As a memory, I kept the original photo from 2016!
Leave a Comment