This lamb chops recipe takes a time consuming meal and gets it on the table fast, and in the most delicious way. Try it any weeknight for a fancy dinner!
Are lamb chops healthy?
Lamb is classified as a red meat and is the product of young sheep. It’s a great source of high-quality protein. Plus, it has iron, zinc and vitamin B12. Lamb is great for muscle strength and maintenance. I make lamb quite often for my family, like my Lemon Thyme Lamb Chops Recipe, Garlic Butter Lamb Chops Recipe (Web Story), and Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce (Web Story).
How long do you marinate lamb?
Leg of lamb is the most tender cut of lamb available. Therefore, it does not need much marinating.
However, lamb chops are most often from the rib, loin, or sirloin. Occasionally they are also taken from the shoulder. These cuts of meat tend to be a little more tough, so marinating can help produce a tender end product. Lamb chops should be marinated for at least 30 minutes and up to two days.
However, do not marinate it for longer than 30 minutes at room temperature. If you plan to marinate it longer, place it into the refrigerator.
Marinating is a great solution for meal prep and will help you get an amazing lamb chop dinner on the table quickly. Prepare your marinade the night before, or even that morning. Then, allow the lamb to marinate all day in the refrigerator. When you are ready to cook, you will have a flavorful cut of meat to work with.
How do you cook lamb chops?
This lamb chops recipe doesn’t take nearly as long as you may think. Lamb chops can be a weeknight dinner since it only takes a few minutes to cook them. A few tips for the best lamb chops:
- Bring the meat to room temperature first. It cooks better if it is not cold.
- Cook over medium-high heat
- Cook them in olive oil or other high smoke point oil
- For medium-rare chops, cook for three and a half minutes.
- Allow the meat to rest for 10-15 minutes after cooking, as it will take about four minutes to reach an internal temperature of 160 F. The lamb will continue to cook as it rests.
Lamb chops recipe substitutions
It’s easy to keep this recipe Whole30 or keto compliant with just a few simple substitutions. All you need to do is use yellow mustard instead of dijon, and chicken stock instead of white wine.
Other spices that go well with lamb include:
- Curry powder
How long can you store cooked lamb?
If you have leftovers, store the lamb in a tightly sealed container for three to four days in the refrigerator. In the freezer, cooked lamb will last one to two months.
It’s best to reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees F., just until it is warm. This will prevent it from drying out.
Other Lamb Recipes to Try:
- Garlic Herb Lamb Chops Recipe
- Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce
- Garlic Butter Lamb Chops Recipe
Lamb Chops with Creamy Mustard Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp thyme fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper cracked
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 6 lamb chops
For the lamb chops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 lamb chops
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a small mason jar. Cover it with a lid and shake until all the ingredients are combine.
- Place lamb chops on a large plate/casserole and pour the marinade over the lamb chops. The marinade sauce should cover all sides of the lamb chops.
- Let the lamb chops marinade for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat and add lamb chops.
- Cook on medium-high heat about 4 minutes on each side and until it gets the internal temperature of 160F.
- Remove the lamb chops from the skillet and set aside.
- Add wine to the same skillet and bring to boil.
- Add mustard, fresh thyme, and minced garlic and bring to boil until the sauce gets thick. It’s about 2-3 minutes.
- Add back to the skillet the pan-seared lamb chops.
- Simmer on low-medium heat for a minute or two.
- Season the sauce with salt, cracked black pepper and fresh thyme.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!