Grilled lamb chops are an easy dinner that you can have ready to eat in 10 minutes! A chimichurri marinade adds the flavour of fresh herbs to the juicy chops. This grilling recipe makes a delicious summer dinner.
Today I’m sharing with you this very easy grilled lamb recipe since you’re enjoying my other lamb chop recipes: Garlic Butter Lamb Chops Recipe, Garlic Herb Lamb Chops Recipe and Lamb Chops with Creamy Mustard Sauce. I’m sure you’ll enjoy this new lamb chops recipe during summer because it’s perfect for grilling season, healthy and super flavourful.
What kind of lamb is best for grilled lamb chops?
Lamb chops are cut from several different parts of the animal, including the shoulder, loin, ribs, and sirloin. Typically the packaged lamb chops available in the grocery store are cut from the ribs or shoulder.
Packages marked “petite” or “small” are lamb rib chops. Shoulder lamb chops have more meat and are thicker, but are not as tender as the rib meat.
Either of these cuts of lamb work well for grilled lamb chops. The chops are small enough that they cook to juicy perfection in less than 10 minutes!
How to grill lamb chops
To ensure that the grilled lamb chops are tender, flavourful, and juicy, there are a couple of simple but important steps to follow.
- Use a marinade – For the best flavour, allow the chops to marinate for 30 to 60 minutes. This grilled lamb chops recipe calls for a marinade of homemade chimichurri sauce.
- Room temperature meat – To give the chops a beautiful sear on the outside, be sure that the meat is at room temperature when you put it on the grill.
How long to grill lamb chops
It is important to avoid over cooking lamb or it will be very dry. Grill the chops to medium-rare doneness for the best taste.
To achieve this, the internal temperature of lamb should be 145 degrees Fahrenheit when it is served.
Keep in mind that the lamb will continue to cook as it rests. This is known as “carryover cooking”.
The final internal temperature is going to rise another 5 to 10 degrees. Therefore, it is best to remove the lamb chops from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 138 to 140 degrees F.
What to serve with lamb
To enhance the flavour of grilled lamb chops, serve them with a simple side dish. Try a few of these:
- Broccoli Kale Slaw Salad
- Easy Mediterranean Salad Recipe
- Cauliflower “Rice” Tabbouleh Salad Recipe
- Creamy Avocado Cauliflower Salad
Grilled Lamb Chops with Chimichurri Sauce
- In a freezer bag or silicone bag (this is my favourite one), add lamb chops, salt and pepper and ¼ cup of chimichurri sauce. Close the bag and shake until lamb chops are coated with the marinade sauce. Set aside for about 1 hour on the kitchen counter top.
- Preheat cast iron pan or grill over medium heat. I like to use my cast iron because my lamb chops were small.
- Pour olive oil to pan if using pan and place lamb chops on it.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on every side of the lamb without touching of flipping. Lamb chops will be cooked when chops get the internal temperature of 140°F in the thickest part.
- Transfer the chops to a platter and drizzle with the rest of the chimichuri sauce over them. Serve with tomato sauce and grilled veggies. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!