Give a healthy spin in your traditional shepherd’s pie recipe by making it with mashed cauliflower. This Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie is very filling, low-carb, gluten-free, paleo-friendly and the most important very DELICIOUS!
I’m writing this post in a hotel bed at 5:30 am before leaving to visit more beautiful places in Montevideo, Uruguay. We are here with two friends on vacation until Friday and after that, we are heading to Buenos Aires, Argentina. So far we are loving everything we’ve seen and visited. Montevideo is a great place to visit because it’s the safest city in South America, has lots of green areas to spend time with your kids, the traffic in the city is very smooth, people are extremely polite and, of course, the food is AH-mazing! If you like beef, pork, chicken, and seafood it’s the place to visit. Also, the dulce de leche and the alfajores are to die for. I can’t even count how many of these I ate already (oops… it was supposed to be a secret… lol). Anyway… We are all amazed by this city! Soon I’ll be writing a blog post with more detail about our trip. Please, stay tuned!
And speaking of delicious foods, what about making this low-carb and paleo-friendly Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s pie to warm up your home and make it smell good?! I am sure you will love this recipe!
This is similar to a traditional Shepherd’s Pie, just with a little change of the potatoes to cauliflower. If you’ve already made mashed cauliflower before, you know it is as flavorful as mashed potatoes and it makes a great combo with the ground turkey filling as well. See my previous post where I shared my Shrimp Cauliflower Mash Bowl if you don’t believe me! I didn’t add cheese or butter on the top because I wanted to make it as healthy as possible, but you can add it if you want.
This is the perfect fall meal to enjoy with your family sitting around the table while talking about your day. Isn’t it awesome when you can fill your family with a healthy meal and they all can all enjoy? This shepherd’s pie is perfect for that. This is also low-carb, gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and YUMMY!
Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie
For the Cauliflower
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a big pot, bring water to a boil and add cauliflower.
- Cook until tender.
- Drain in a colander.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in a food processor, add 1 tbsp olive oil and garlic and blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high and sauté onions until translucent.
- Add carrots, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the ground turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into chunks and cook until it is not pink anymore.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and ½ cup chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add peas, corn, and thyme. Stir well to combine and cook for two minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, give it a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Spread the mashed cauliflower over the turkey mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the edges of the mashed cauliflower are browned.
- Rest the pie for about 15 minutes before serving.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
Please, if you recreate this recipe, please take a picture and hashtag #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version.
And if you like this Mashed Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
One more Shepherd’s Pie recipe!