Comforting Food doesn’t need to be full of carbs, right? I can prove what I’m saying with this super delicious Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe. It’s also gluten-free. Enjoy!
I made this Bolognese sauce two weeks ago and it was amazing. Let’s start this post by saying that I wasn’t very sure that this recipe was going to turn out SO GOOD. I thought it wasn’t going to be as good as the regular Bolognese sauce recipe because I didn’t make it with bacon and fatty ground beef, veal or pork. Instead I used extra-lean ground turkey and I replaced the fat from the bacon for 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Although I made all these changes this sauce is still very flavorful. Believe me!
For this Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe, I also used two cans of San Marzano tomatoes. These are the best canned tomatoes, you can possibly find just because these tomatoes have very good flavor and texture. They are also sweet and less acidy. So, using a good canned tomato is essential to make this sauce good. If the tomatoes are not good, your sauce won’t be either since the main star of this sauce are the tomatoes.
What is really important to make a recipe good or not is the quality of the ingredients. If you choose the best ingredients for your recipes, they’ll be very tasty for sure. I normally buy my cans of San Marzano Tomatoes at Costco, because they always have the best deals. But you can find it at amazon.com as well.
Also, I used extra-lean ground turkey for this Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe because we only need good fat to our diets and not the bad ones. This meat is lean, but when it is combined with the rest of the ingredients, it is very tasty. The sauce is delicious and if you leave it simmering for longer than 1 hour it will be even better.
So, while your sauce is simmering you can roast your spaghetti squash, but if you have already your sauce completely done and you don’t want to wait 40 minutes for your squash to be ready, you can use your microwave to prepare it. See the instructions below. Hope you enjoy this Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash as much as me. As always I can’t forget to say that this recipe is also gluten-free and low-carb.
Love this Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Recipe? Let’s try to make it!
Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions — diced
- 1 cup carrot — diced
- 1 cup celery — dived (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper — diced
- 2 big garlic cloves — minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper crushed
- 1 lb organic extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cans (2 28oz) diced tomato — I used the San Marzano Tomato can
- ½ cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 spaghetti squashes
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley — chopped
For the Sauce
- In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook 4-5 minutes until they are soft and golden.
- Add carrot, celery, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, salt, pepper and red pepper crushed.
- Cook everything for about 3 minutes.
- Add extra-lean ground turkey. Cook the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and stir occasionally until the meat has browned.
- Deglaze with the wine and reduce until almost dry.
- Add diced tomato and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, pesto and bay leaves.
- Cover and once you’ve reached the boiling point, lower the heat to bring to a low simmer. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
For the Spaghetti Squash
- Pierce the whole spaghetti squashes many times with a fork.
- Place one spaghetti squash on a microwave safe dish and microwave on medium-high for 5 minute.
- Rotate spaghetti squash and microwave for 5 minutes more. In total you will microwave your squash for 10 minutes. But of course the time will depend on the power of your microwave and on the size of the spaghetti squash.
- Remove from microwave and repeat the process with the other spaghetti squash. Let them rest for about 10 minutes.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the seeds with a spoon.
- Gently scrape the sides of the squash with a fork to shred the pulp into strands. Pour 1 cup of the Bolognese sauce on top of each squash halves. (You can freeze the rest of the sauce and enjoy it in another recipes.)
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 268, Fat: 11.4g, Saturated Fat: 1.8g, Cholesterol: 77mg, Sodium: 350mg, Carbohydrates: 16g, Fiber: 4.9g, Sugar: 8.1g, Protein: 24.5g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
And if you like this Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.