Learn how to roast spaghetti squash. This nutritious and delicious winter squash can replace carb-heavy noodles or shine as a main dish on its own or an impressive side.
Spaghetti squash is a gluten free, low carb option for eating spaghetti. It can replace the pasta in any dish like this One-Pan Shrimp Spaghetti can be easily swapped with spaghetti squash! Then you end up with a paleo, Whole30 and keto friendly meal. While you can combine it with meat for a meal with lots of filling protein, it’s easy to keep it vegetarian and vegan as well. I make it so often like for my Spaghetti Squash Casserole Recipe, Whole30 Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs, and Spaghetti Squash with Sun dried Tomato and Basil.
How to roast spaghetti squash
With just a little prep work, your spaghetti squash can roast while you are busy doing other things. Spaghetti squash can actually be eaten raw, but it’s much better cooked using this method. Here’s how to roast a spaghetti squash:
- Cut the squash in half from the top to the bottom. The skin is tough, so if you are having trouble cutting it, put the squash in the microwave for about five minutes. Pierce the skin in a dotted line where you plan to cut it first. The heat will soften the outer skin.
2. Scoop out the seeds and stringy insides. You can roast the seeds just as you would pumpkin seeds if you want to keep them.
3. Pour olive oil on the flesh of the squash and season it with salt and pepper.
4. Place the squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet.
5. Roast for 30-40 minutes at 400F.
6. To make it look like spaghetti strands, scrape a fork through the flesh.
Other cooking methods
You can cook spaghetti squash in a crock pot or Instant Pot as well.
To cook spaghetti squash in the crock pot, you can leave it whole and just pierce the skin a few times. Put two cups of water in the bottom of the pot. Allow it to cook on low for eight hours. Cool it slightly and prepare the same way.
For quick cooking, use an Instant Pot. Prepare the squash the same way by cutting it in half and removing the seeds. Pour a cup of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Put the spaghetti squash on a trivet so it doesn’t sit in the water and get soggy. Cook on high for seven minutes. Do a quick release to stop the cooking process immediately.
What goes with spaghetti squash?
Spaghetti squash’s mild flavor means it not only looks like pasta, but also tastes similar. Any kind of pasta sauce can be added to make it more like wheat pasta.
But there are lots of other ways to eat this veggie. Try some of these:
- Take advantage of the space left by removing the seeds and stuff it with Bolognese sauce
- Add shrimp and toss it with pesto
- Include spaghetti squash in soups and stews
- Use as a pizza topping
- Gluten free spaghetti pie
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes to Try:
- Whole30 Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash With Meatballs
- Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Shrimp
- Spaghetti Squash with Sun dried Tomato and Basil
- Easy Bolognese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Turkey Bolognese with Roasted Spaghetti Squash
How to Make Spaghetti Squash
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Halve the spaghetti squash and remove seeds, using a spoon.
- Pour over olive oil on the inside of the spaghetti squash and season with salt and black pepper.
- Place spaghetti squash cut-side down on the baking sheet and roast in oven on middle rack for about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Using a fork, gently scrap from one end to the other. Serve it with your favorite protein recipes. So good!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!