This Fusilli with Mushroom and Roasted Butternut Squash is a delicious, quick fall recipe for you and your family to enjoy. Easy and delicious!!
While you are reading this, I will be landing in Chicago. YES, I am so excited to be able to spend the weekend in this beautiful city with my husband and one of my best friends, Haydê. She already visited me few times in Toronto and now it’s my turn. My husband has to travel to Chicago for work and I took this opportunity to visit my special friend. She is my childhood friend and has been living in the USA for over 13 years. Currently, she is attending Law school in Chicago. We grew up in Brazil and every time we are together it is so much fun. We always remember our funny experiences as children. I am sure we are going to have so much fun this weekend. I’m so excited!!
But before I left Toronto, I made this simple, tasty fusilli with mushroom and roasted butternut squash. This is the only way my husband eats butternut squash without complaining. Yes, guys, believe me. He doesn’t like butternut squash. I know what question is crossing your mind now, “who doesn’t like butternut squash?” I know, I know… he is so picky. This time I made it and he actually ate it ALL. I was so happy!!! Finally, some delicious fall foods he eats. Sorry, baby, I am being mean to you, but you know I love you, right? 😉
So, this recipe is so easy to make but there are few things that I would like to point out:
- It’s important to cut your butternut squash into roughly the same size pieces. This ensures all the pieces cook at the same time. If you cut them in different sizes, the smaller ones will cook faster than others and they will probably become soggy by the time the bigger pieces are ready.
- Another important tip is to add the chopped butternut squash in a single layer to the baking sheet like I did with the Roasted Root Vegetable with Thyme recipe to avoid they become mushy.
- And finally, toss every single piece with olive oil. Make sure the pieces are coated on all sides. If they aren’t, the sides not coated will be very dry.
Fusilli with Mushroom and Roasted Butternut Squash
- 2 cups whole wheat Fusilli pasta
- 2 + 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups - butternut squash, diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- ½ cup onions - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes - or chili pepper
- 1 cup mushroom - chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - cut in half
- Green onions - chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- In a bowl, add the butternut squash and toss with 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- In a roasting pan covered with parchment paper, spread the butternut squash out evenly and in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until tender. Stir once halfway through cooking time to promote even cooking and browning.
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the fusilli and cook according to the package instructions.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, mushroom, and cherry tomatoes.
- Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add reserved fusilli and roasted butternut squash. Stir well for 1 minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If necessary, adjust seasoning and add more olive oil to add more flavor.
- Garnish with chopped green onions
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Fusilli with Mushroom and Roasted Butternut Squash recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More delicious Pasta recipes
I love this Whole Wheat Fusilli with Mussels because it is very easy and quick to make, but it tastes like a very sophisticated dish.
This Pasta Salad with Lima Beans and Anchovies is a quick and healthy lunch meal for your busy weekdays.