These Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers are filled with flavours and a delicious homemade tomato sauce. A perfect recipe for a busy weeknight.
Today, I have a new recipe that I’m really excited to share with you because I’ve always been a fan of stuffed peppers. This Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers recipe is so versatile since you can stuff your peppers with lots of different ingredients, such as rice, beans, veggies, and meat.
I chose to make my stuffed peppers with only sweet potatoes and ground turkey because those were the ingredients I had on hand. My husband and I went to Costco a few weeks ago and bought about 4 pounds of ground turkey because I love it, and the price was really good.
There is so much you can do with ground turkey. So, it’s a good idea to buy more than 2 pounds and keep some on hand. When I buy it, I always use a good lean ground turkey so that my meals will be healthier.
These Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers are something I love to make and freeze individually for later.
They taste really good the next day. I really recommend making them ahead and keeping in the freezer, even if you are cooking only for yourself.
This Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers recipe takes only 30 minutes to put on your table. These bright peppers with their lively filling will really cheer you up! These brilliant red peppers are great to cook either in an oven or in the summer over medium coals on a barbecue. The ground turkey and sweet potato work really well together and make a delicious filling that is satisfying and full of flavour.
See below for how to make Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers:
Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grass-fed ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ½ cup onions - diced
- 1⅔ cups sweet potatoes - diced
- ½ cup homemade tomato sauce
- crushed red pepper to taste - optional
- salt and pepper
- 2 large bell peppers - cut in half
- feta cheese - for garnishing, don't add if you want paleo-friendly
- fresh parsley - for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground turkey and garlic. Stir occasionally, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Make sure to break up the meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the onions, and cook until they are golden brown.
- Add the sweet potatoes, cover the skillet, and cook until they are tender. It takes about 8 minutes.
- Don’t forget to stir occasionally. Add the tomato sauce, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste. If necessary, add more olive oil or a little bit of water to cook the sweet potatoes.
- Arrange the peppers in a greased baking dish with the cavity side facing up.
- Fill each bell pepper halve with the ground turkey-sweet potato mix.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes or until the peppers are cooked and soft.
- Remove from the oven, and garnish with feta and parsley.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Stuffed Peppers recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More sweet potato recipes to try: