Healthy Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies that are made with almond flour, sugar-free chocolate, butter and natural sweetener. It’s so delicious that you won’t believe these cookies are actually healthier than the traditional shortbread cookie recipes.
Shortbread cookies are one of my favorite kinds of cookies to bake for Christmas. I love them especially because of the texture and how crunchy they are. Mm.. So good!
Although traditional shortbread cookie is amazing, today I’m sharing with you my healthy version that I think you’ll be amazed by the flavour and the texture too. To be really honest with you, I think these Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies are as good or if not better than the shortbread cookie made with white flour.
Ingredients to Make These Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
To make this Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies recipe, you’ll need only 6 ingredients and here they are:
- Almond flour
- Grass-fed Softened Butter
- Natural Sweetener (any one of your preference)
- Vanilla Extract
- Dark Chocolate Chips (or sugar-free chocolate chips)
Since this recipe is made with almond flour (which helps the cookies to be light and tender), you won’t need lots of butter to make them. In fact, you’ll use only 3 tablespoons of softened butter because almond flour already contains lots of healthy fats. Only 3 tablespoons of butter is more than enough to keep the dough crunchy, flaky and delicious.
Also, this version of the traditional shortbread cookie tastes yummy even though it contains only 3 tablespoons sweetener. You won’t need more than that to make these Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies.
Reasons why you should use almond flour to bake these cookies:
- Almond flour is a great source of good plant-base protein.
- It’s also loaded with healthy fats that are great for your brain.
- This type of flour is also gluten-free, grain-free and low-carb.
- It has a delicious nutty flavour!
These cookies are the best and I say that, not only because they are delicious, but because they’re healthier, they only require 6 simple ingredients and are baked in 20 minutes. So, after all these good reasons to make them, I hope you give them a try! Enjoy!
More Low-carb Cookies to Try:
- Cranberry Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies: These Cranberry Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies are delicious, low-carb and gluten-free.
- Chocolate Almond Biscotti Cookies: Delicious Low-carb version of the traditional and classic Italian biscotti cookie.
- Sugar-free Nutella Thumbprint Cookies: You can absolutely indulge yourself and feel good about it after eating these delicious cookies.
Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add all the ingredients, but except the chocolate chips. Using a spatula stir everything well until all is combined and the dough is smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Roll balls of dough. It’s about 1.5 tablespoons of dough per cookie. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Press fork into the tops to create the criss-cross pattern. Probably the dough will crack a little. You just have to re-seal some cracks by simply smooth it out with your fingers. But know that it’s totally fine to have a few cracks.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until very lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool completely before handling.
- While the cookies are in the oven, place some chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute. Remove from the microwave and stir. Return it to the microwave and repeat, stopping to stir every 15-seconds until the mixture is totally melted.
- Dip half of cookie into the melted chocolate and let the excess run off.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!