This Cabbage and Sausage Stew recipe is delicious, packed with nutritious ingredients and it’s totally hearty and comforting.
Cabbage and sausage stew is one of the best recipes you can make during the cold months because it’s a totally comforting and a hearty meal for dinner or even lunch. When you’re craving a hot bowl of soup or stew, this is the recipe you should go for.
It’s also healthy with full of chunks of carrots, onion and delicious bacon. I made this recipe last weekend and we ate it for dinner and in the next day for lunch. Let me tell you that this cabbage and sausage stew tastes great as leftover.
I made this recipe from my Internet friend Julia’s new cookbook called “Paleo Power Bowls”. When I saw this recipe on her cookbook, my first thought was: I NEED to make this recipe as soon as possible”.
I chose to make this cabbage and sausage stew recipe because it looks amazing and because it’s still very cold here in Toronto, which is the perfect excuse to have stews and soups for dinner almost everyday. Well… I wish!
Julia blogs at The Roasted Root (I’m pretty sure you have heard about her awesome blog) and she’s also the author of this amazing cookbook filled with 100 easy, nutrient-dense and anti-inflammatory meals! The recipes are all paleo and so quick to make that are perfect for busy people who wants to jump-starting the paleo diet. On top of that all the recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, and refined-sugar-free and there are recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
How do you make this Cabbage and Sausage Stew?
This is a really simple stew to make and here is what you should do:
First step: Chop carrots, onions and cabbage. But of course if you want to save some time, buy pre-chopped veggies.
Second: Cook bacon in a large stockpot for about 2 minutes. Make sure to buy the Whole30 compliant ones.
Third: Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes. And then, just scoot the vegetables off to one side of the stockpot and add the turkey Italian sausage and all the spices listed on the recipe box.
Final step: Add the bone broth and diced tomatoes, cover, and bring soup to a full boil. Once it’s boiling, add the cabbage, cover the pot and cook 40 minutes. Taste for flavor and DONE!
Cabbage and Sausage Stew
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon - chopped (whole30 complaint)
- ½ yellow onion - finely chopped
- 2 large carrots - peeled chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 lb ground turkey Italian sausage - (whole30 compliant)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 32 oz chicken bone broth
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large head cabbage - thinly sliced
- Place the chopped bacon in a large stockpot and heat over medium-high. Cook until bacon begins to soften and sweat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and continue cooking until vegetables have softened but are still al dente, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Scoot the vegetables off to one side of the stockpot and add the turkey Italian sausage, paprika, oregano and sea salt. Allow meat to brown on one side for 2 minutes, then flip it and continue cooking 1 minute more. Add the bone broth and diced tomatoes, cover, and bring soup to a full boil.
- Add the cabbage and replace the cover. Cook 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until cabbage has cooked down.
- Taste stew for flavor and add sea salt to taste.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!