Ultra-easy Garlic Butter Trout in Foil that requires only 4 ingredients and it is ready in less than 25 minutes. It’s also low-carb and gluten-free!
This Garlic Butter Trout recipe was first published on February 8th, 2017, but it was updated on July 15, 2018 with new pictures and more information about the recipe.
I always buy salmon because I love this fish. Here in Canada salmon is pretty popular. We can find it easily in absolutely every grocery store. But last time my husband went to do grocery by himself, he ended up buying this rainbow trout filet. I liked it because it’s always good to change things up a little bit. If you like salmon like me, you will love this fish too since it tastes similar although trout does tend to be a little stronger in flavor.
I made this Garlic Butter Trout in foil last Sunday, a day after Thomas’s birthday. So you can imagine I was really tired and I wasn’t in a mood to cook a complicated meal and clean up all the mess later. For this reason, I decided to bake the trout in a foil, making the cleanup a breeze!
What herbs to use with this Garlic Butter Trout?
What I love about Garlic Butter Trout recipe is that it goes well with lots of different herbs such as parsley, thyme and dill. But I also love to use oregano and thyme. You can use dried or fresh herbs too. And don’t forget to season it well with salt, black pepper and a little bit of red crushed pepper to give a little bit more flavour to your fish fillet.
How do you cook trout in the oven?
It’s very simple and here are the few steps to cook trout in the oven.
- First, pre-heat the oven to 375ºF.
- Second, you’re going to cut two sheets of foil. It has to be big enough to wrap very well the trout fillet.
- Then, you need to cover the baking sheet with the aluminum foil and place the trout filet in the center. Fold up all 4 sides of the foil.
- Now it’s time to season the trout with all herbs you have on hand such as parsley, dill or oregano. And of course let’s not forget salt, black pepper, some garlic and red crushed pepper.
- For more flavour and to avoid the fish from becoming dry, melt some butter in the microwave and drizzle it over the trout until evenly coated.
- Fold the sides of the foil over the trout. You need to cover it completely.And then, bake for about 13 minutes. It will depend on the size of the trout fillet. Now, you just need to open the foil and broil for 3 minutes. Done!
This meal is one of my favorites because it’s the easiest fish foil recipe you can make! And even though it requires only 4 ingredients, this Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil is very flavorful. On top of all that, this recipe will be ready from start to finish in less than 30 mins. This is definitely the best meal when life is extremely busy. Enjoy!
You can serve this Garlic Butter Trout in Foil with:
- Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower Rice
- Mushroom Cauliflower “Rice” Skillet
- Roasted Vegetables
- Crispy Roasted Green Beans
- Parmesan Lemon Asparagus Skillet
Want other fish recipes? Try these favorites:
- Spicy Butter Salmon in Foil
- Easy Cedar Plank Salmon
- Foil Baked Salmon Recipe
- 3-Ingredient Tilapia Skillet
Watch how to make this Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil recipe:
Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil
Ultra-easy Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil that requires only 4 ingredients and it is ready in less than 25 minutes. It’s also low-carb and gluten-free!
- 1 lb steelhead trout filet
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (you can use Ghee if you are Paleo or doing Whole30)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dill, minced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cut two sheets of foil. It has to be big enough to wrap the trout.
Cover the [url:1]baking sheet[/url] with the aluminum foil and place the trout filet in the center.
- Fold up all 4 sides of the foil.
- Then, season the trout with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the trout until evenly coated.
- Top with minced garlic and fresh minced dill.
- Fold the sides of the foil over the trout. You need to cover it completely.
- Bake for about 13 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Then, open the fail and broil for 3 minutes.
This is a delicious trout recipe that goes really well with this easy mashed cauliflower, this garlic cauliflower rice, this quick roasted green beans or even this Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussels Sprouts. But if you don’t mind eating carbs, you can serve this fish with this super yummy Rice with Mushroom and Asparagus recipe or this Leek Kalamata Rice.
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
If you like this Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.