Ultra-easy Garlic Butter Trout in Foil requires only 4 ingredients, and it is ready in less than 25 minutes. It’s also low-carb and gluten-free!
This Garlic Butter Trout recipe was first published on February 8th, 2017, but I updated it on July 15, 2018 with new pictures and more information about the recipe.
I always buy salmon because I love this fish. Here in Canada, salmon is pretty popular. We can find it easily in absolutely every grocery store. But the last time my husband went to the store by himself, he bought a rainbow trout fillet. I liked it because it’s always good to change things up a little bit. If you enjoy salmon like me, you will love this fish too since it tastes similar, although trout tends to be a little stronger in flavor.
I made this Garlic Butter Trout in foil last Sunday, a day after Thomas’s birthday. So, you can imagine I was really tired and wasn’t in a mood to cook a complicated meal and clean up all the mess later. For this reason, I decided to bake the trout in foil, making cleanup a breeze!
Which herbs to use with Garlic Butter Trout?
What I love about this Garlic Butter Trout recipe is that it goes well with lots of different herbs such as parsley, thyme, and dill. But I also love to use oregano. You can use either dried or fresh herbs. And, don’t forget to season it well with salt, black pepper, and a little bit of red crushed pepper to give more flavour to your fish fillet.
How do you cook trout in the oven?
It’s very simple, and here are the few steps to cook trout in the oven:
- First, preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Second, cut a sheet of foil that is large enough to wrap the trout fillet very well.
- Then, cover the baking sheet with the aluminum foil, and place the trout fillet in the center. Fold up all 4 sides of the foil.
- Now, season the trout with any herbs you have on hand, such as parsley, dill, or oregano. And of course, let’s not forget salt, black pepper, some garlic, and red crushed pepper.
- For more flavour and to avoid the fish from becoming dry, melt some butter in the microwave or on the stove and drizzle it over the trout until evenly coated.
- Fold the sides of the foil over the trout. Cover it completely. And then, bake for about 13 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the size of the trout fillet. Now, open the foil, and broil for 3 minutes. Done!
This meal is one of my favorites because it’s the easiest fish foil recipe you can make! And even though it requires only 4 ingredients, this Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil is very flavorful. On top of that, this recipe will be ready from start to finish in less than 30 mins. This is definitely the best meal when life is extremely busy. Enjoy!
You can serve this Garlic Butter Trout in Foil with:
- Garlic Parmesan Cauliflower Rice
- Mushroom Cauliflower “Rice” Skillet
- Roasted Vegetables
- Crispy Roasted Green Beans
- Parmesan Lemon Asparagus Skillet
Want other fish recipes? Try these favorites:
- Spicy Butter Salmon in Foil: This recipe is made with melted butter and lots of spices. It’s cooked for 20 minutes, and then broiled for the crispy finish!
- Foil Baked Salmon Recipe: This is the easiest way to make salmon in foil. It is baked over a bed of asparagus. Infuse your salmon with lemon, onion, and dried oregano for a richer flavour.
- Garlic Butter Salmon in Foil: This is an ultra-easy dinner to make for busy weeknights. It’s ready in less than 25 minutes and is delicious with salads and roasted veggies.
See below for how to make this Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil recipe:
Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil
- 1 pound rainbow trout fillet
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter — melted (you can use ghee if you are paleo or doing whole30)
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 teaspoon dill — minced (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Cut a sheet of foil large enough to wrap the trout completely.
Cover the baking sheet with the aluminum foil, and place the trout fillet in the center.
Fold up all 4 sides of the foil.
Then, season the trout with salt and pepper.
Drizzle the melted butter over the trout until evenly coated.
Top with minced garlic and fresh minced dill.
Fold the sides of the foil over the trout. Cover it completely.
Bake for about 13 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Then, open the foil, and broil for 3 minutes.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 195, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 82mg, Sodium: 85mg, Potassium: 663mg, Carbohydrates: 2g, Protein: 24g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Garlic Butter Rainbow Trout in Foil recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.