One pan meals are perfect for busy weeknights. Everything cooks together, and there isn’t a pile of pots and pans to be scrubbed.
The easiest dishes combine protein with fresh vegetables and spices. All of the flavors come together for a delicious, balanced meal.
Plus, this cabbage and sausage recipe is low-carb and Keto friendly too.
If you’re looking for more cabbage recipes, check these ones out: Cabbage and Sausage Stew, Spicy Chicken with Sauteed Cabbage and Zucchini Bowls, One-Pan Chicken and Cabbage (Meal-Prep), Broiled Salmon with Cabbage and Green Beans (Meal-Prep) and Cabbage Steak Recipe.
How to shred cabbage
First, remove any damaged outer leaves. Then, rinse and dry the cabbage or use a salad spinner after it’s been shredded.
With a knife:
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cabbage in half through the stem, then again to make quarters.
- Hold the bottom of each quarter against a cutting board and cut at an angle to remove the stem.
- Lay one quarter on its side and slice across it widthwise to make thin shreds. For longer pieces, cut lengthwise.
- Repeat with each quarter until the whole cabbage has been sliced.
With a mandolin slicer
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the stem as instructed above.
- Adjust the blade on the mandolin to the correct thickness, then run the cabbage over the blade with one of the flat sides facing down.
- Continue with the remaining quarters. Be careful not to cut your fingers as you get to the end of the wedge, and you may need to finish those with a knife.
How to make cabbage and sausage
- Italian pork sausage – bulk or links removed from casings
- Green cabbage, thinly sliced
- Red bell pepper, chopped
- Onion, chopped – yellow or white
- Garlic, minced
- Sugar-free tomato sauce
- Beef broth
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder – omit to make this less spicy
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped
Prep the ingredients
Chop the vegetables and slice the cabbage. If using sausage links, remove the meat from the casings.
Brown the meat
Next, cook the sausage in a little bit of oil until no longer pink.
Stir in the onion and bell pepper and cook until they start to soften. Then, mix in the garlic until fragrant. Stir in all of the spices and cook an additional 2-3 minutes for the flavors to combine.
Sauté the vegetables
Add the sliced cabbage to the pot and cook until almost tender, stirring occasionally.
Add tomato sauce and beef broth. Close the pot with a lid and cook for more 5 minutes.
Garnish and serve
Top with fresh parsley and spoon into bowls.
Or, divide the cabbage and sausage skillet into meal prep containers for a week’s worth of lunches!
Frequently asked questions
- Sausage – slice cured sausage into coins or try other forms of protein like ground beef, ground turkey, or tofu
- Produce – add in carrots, zucchini, peas, or even apples
- Spices – play with different flavors using Asian, Italian, or Cajun spice blends
Storing and reheating
MORE SKILLET RECIPES TO TRY
- Chicken and Bell Peppers Skillet
- Italian Sausage Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Garlic Shrimp Asparagus Skillet
- Spicy Salmon Sweet Potato Skillet
- Easy Garlic Butter Mushroom Skillet
MORE SAUSAGE RECIPE TO TRY
- Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet (Meal-Prep)
- Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet
- Italian Sausage Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Sausage and Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash
Cabbage and Sausage Skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh Italian pork sausages — removed from the casings
- 1/2 onion — chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper — chopped
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 tsp salt and cracked black pepper — to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder — optional
- 1 small green cabbage — thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar-free tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp beef broth
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley — chopped
In a large pot add olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the sausage meat and cook for about 3 minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Season with salt, and pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and chili powder. Stir all well to combine.
Add cabbage. Sauté for 5 minutes and stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is almost tender. Add tomato sauce and beef broth. Mix well to combine all the ingredients together. Close the pot with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Keep cooking for more 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/6) — Calories: 294, Fat: 22g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Sodium: 533mg, Potassium: 346mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 13g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!