This Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a very simple, low-carb, and gluten-free slow cooker stew with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and herbs.
This Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew is definitely one of my ultimate comfort foods, especially during the winter months. To be honest, I think I could have my Pasta Soup with Sweet Potato and Peas, Extra-lean Turkey Chili with Kale, Healthy Slow Cooker Red Wine Beef Stew and Turnip and Carrot Slow Cooker Beef Stew for dinner every night from November until March and be perfectly content. I am lucky that my husband can eat these three recipes all the time during the winter season, too! When it is so cold outside, I guess there is nothing better than a comforting bowl of stew, chili, or soup to warm up. I also love to make this stew because of the aroma it brings to my home. It is so welcoming and delicious!!
I named this recipe Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew because by adding more vegetables, such as turnips and parsnips, and using reduced-sodium beef broth, I made this recipe extra healthy for my family. I also reduce the amount of potatoes because they’re high in starchy carbohydrates. For this reason, I don’t like to eat a lot of potatoes. Although, I know that potatoes are still a good source of fibre, potassium, and vitamin C, especially if you eat the skin and prepare them correctly like boiled or baked.
The other thing I did to make this recipe even healthier is that I didn’t add flour to the stew. I know the traditional slow cooker beef stew recipe calls for whisking 2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of water, stirring it into the stew, and then cooking it for few minutes until thickened.
But I just didn’t think it is necessary for me. I prepared it avoiding the added white flour, but if you prefer, about 30 minutes before serving, mix the flour and water together in a small dish and add it to the slow cooker. Mix until well combined.
I also browned the meat before putting it into the slow cooker because it adds depth to the flavour that you simply can’t achieve just by letting it boil away in the cooker. Please do not skip this step. I guarantee that your slow cooker beef stew will taste much better if you brown the meat.
More healthy slow cooker recipes to try:
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato: This recipe only requires 6 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep, and it is a healthy and easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
- Ultra-easy Slow Cooker Chicken Chili: Add the ingredients, and let the slow cooker do the rest.
- Morning Slow Cooker Omelet: Make this omelet ahead with eggs, almond milk, bell pepper, onions, ham, and cheese.
- Super Easy Slow Cooker Chili: This is one of the easiest slow cooker chili recipes you will ever make. And, it’s packed with beans, veggies, and spices.
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna: This is going to become your favorite lasagna recipe. It’s low-carb and gluten-free. This is a great hearty meal for dinner.
See below for how to make Healthier Slower Cooker Beef Stew:
Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1 medium onion — finely chopped
- 2 cups carrots — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 celery ribs — chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 turnips — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 parsnip — cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth — whole30-friendly beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 pounds beef stew meat — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley — chopped, for garnishing
Place the onions, carrots, celery, red potatoes, turnips, parsnips, tomato paste, beef broth, dried thyme, dried parsley, oregano, and dried bay leaves into a large slow cooker.
Add the stew meat to a large bowl, and season liberally with salt and pepper. Toss the meat until it is fully coated, and set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat the olive oil in a skillet.
Add the garlic, and sauté for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the meat, and let the beef cook without stirring for a few minutes to brown the meat on one side.
Stir, and repeat until all sides of the beef pieces are browned.
Add the browned beef to the slow cooker, and stir to combine with the vegetables.
Place the lid on the slow cooker, and cook on high for 5 hours. After 5 hours, taste the stew, and adjust the salt if needed. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 364, Fat: 12.5g, Cholesterol: 66.9mg, Sodium: 825.1mg, Carbohydrates: 31.4g, Sugar: 13.9g, Protein: 27.7g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
I love this Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew recipe because you can make a nutritious meal in the morning before leaving for work. When you return home, you won’t worry about what to make for dinner. On top of that, your kitchen will smell so good!! You can serve it hot as is or over a delicious bowl of rice. Enjoy!
If you like this Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Taste more from 50 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes!