This cabbage steak recipe is quick, easy, and full of flavor. Make this low carb meal for dinner tonight – it only takes 30 minutes!
Cabbage steaks have a neutral flavor, which makes them a great base for so many recipes.
Roasting them in the oven makes them perfectly tender with delicious, caramelized edges.
Once you add the melted cheese and crispy bacon, you’ll get a filling meal that’s also low carb and low calorie. It is the perfect side dish too as it goes so well with everything like my Pan Seared Steak with Mushrooms (Web Story), Garlic Butter Steak Bites Skillet Recipe, and Grilled Chicken Cabbage Salad.
How to cut cabbage steaks
- Clean the cabbage – Remove the outer leaves and any extra that are damaged. Rinse the cabbage and pat dry.
- Remove the stem – Cut off the bottom of the cabbage. Next, place the now flat end on a cutting board so it doesn’t roll around.
- Cut into cabbage steaks – Use a sharp knife to cut down towards the stem, making even slices. Each slice should be about an inch thick.
How to Make Cabbage Steaks
All you need to do is roast the cabbage and add your toppings – it’s that easy!
INGREDIENTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
- Cabbage – use a small head of cabbage so the steaks aren’t too big. Make sure to buy cabbage heads that are fresh and crisp while being tight and compact. You can use green cabbage or red cabbage. But, do not use cooked cabbage for this recipe.
- Bacon – fresh pork or turkey bacon.
- Mozzarella cheese – freshly shredded. You can also use parmesan cheese for topping.
- Olive oil – substitute another neutral oil like vegetable, avocado, or canola.
- Garlic – replace fresh cloves with 1 teaspoon minced. You can also use garlic powder if you don’t have fresh garlic.
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley or any other fresh herbs that you prefer like thyme.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
Prep the cabbage
Clean the head of cabbage and slice into steaks, then brush with olive oil.
Place on a cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper. For easier cleanup, line your baking sheet with aluminum foil first.
Roasted cabbage steaks
Roast or bake the cabbage slices on a single layer until it’s fork-tender and the edges are browned.
While it’s in the oven, shred the cheese and cook the bacon on the stove. Or, if you have a second oven rack, you can cook the bacon in the oven at the same time.
Finish and serve
Once the cabbage steaks are done, sprinkle cheese over the top. Place the pan back in the oven until the cheese has melted.
Add the chopped bacon and fresh parsley before serving.
Different topping ideas for Cabbage Steak
- Keep it simple – Oil, salt, and pepper are enough to make cabbage steaks taste great. Squeeze on a little lemon juice to reduce the bitterness of the vegetable.
- Swap out the cheese – Try Parmesan, Cheddar, Provolone, or Swiss.
- Pizza – Use any of your favorite pizza toppings with cabbage steaks as the crust.
- Tangy and sweet – Mix 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 4 teaspoons honey with the olive oil, then brush on the steaks and season with salt and pepper.
- Mediterranean flavor – Spread on a thin layer of pesto, then top with Feta and Parmesan. Add tomatoes or artichoke hearts if desired.
- Crunch – Add some nuts or seeds to the top of the cabbage steaks to add a crunchy texture to the steaks. I love pecans and walnuts! You can even add some (gluten-free) breadcrumbs to the tops of the cabbage before baking as well.
What does cabbage steak taste like?
Cabbage steak tastes buttery and sweet when roasted. It also tastes a bit savoury once it has caramelized in the oven similar to roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Replace with cauliflower – If you aren’t a fan of cabbage, use cauliflower instead. Slice it the same way and reduce cook time to about 15 minutes. If you’re out of regular cabbage, try this with red cabbage!
- Shredded cheese – Always buy fresh and shred your own. Bagged shreds have a preservative that prevents them from melting properly.
- Make it vegetarian/vegan – Leave off the bacon or replace it with a plant-based option to make this cabbage steak recipe meat-free. Substitute the mozzarella with a vegan alternative if needed.
- Storage and reheating – Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven for about 5 minutes at 350 degrees F. See down below for more tips!
- Make it spicy – Make this into a spicy cabbage steak recipe by mixing in some cayenne pepper, red chili flakes, onion powder and/or paprika to the seasoning.
- Measure the olive oil – It’s important to not put too much olive oil to the cabbage or it’ll be too soaked to roast up. However, if you put too little olive oil to the steaks, the cabbage and seasoning could burn if there’s not enough olive oil.
- Season both sides – Do not forget to both sides of the cabbage steaks! You want to make sure the seasoning and oil get into all the nooks and crannies for the best flavoured outcome.
Make Ahead Tips
To prep ahead of time: slice your cabbage and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days in advance. You can also prepare the cooked bacon ahead of time and store it in the fridge as well. Then cook them the day of.
To meal prep: once the cabbage steaks have been roasted, allow them to cool and transfer them to individual containers for the week.
To freeze: this cabbage steak recipe can be frozen in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Simply thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating them in the oven until warmed through.
You can add any leftovers to casseroles and soups. You can make delicious cabbage soup with that.
What to Eat With Cabbage Steaks
Baked cabbage steaks are the perfect side for my Easy Broiled Salmon Recipe, Garlic Butter Baked Pork Chops, and Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast. You can even serve this cabbage steak recipe on its own as it is quite hearty. It also goes great with pasta or grains of your choice like quinoa! It truly goes with everything.
More Cabbage recipes:
- Egg Roll in a Bowl with Cabbage
- One Pan Chicken and Cabbage
- Cabbage and Sausage Stew
- Spicy Chicken with Sauteed Cabbage and Zucchini Bowls
- Broiled Salmon with Cabbage and Green Beans (Meal-Prep)
Cabbage Steak Recipe
- 1 small head cabbage
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Slice the cabbage into 3/4 to 1-inch thick steak slices.
- Brush the slices with olive oil on both sides and place onto cookie sheet. Season with garlic, salt and black pepper. Then, roast for 20 minutes or until caramelized.
- While the cabbage steaks are in the oven, cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Set cool down for 5 minutes. Chop bacon and set aside.
- Remove cabbage from the oven. Top with mozzarella cheese and return it to the oven to roast more 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with bacon and fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- Click HERE to watch the web story.
- You can swap the cheese for Parmesan, Cheddar, Provolone, or Swiss.
- Adding some nuts or seeds on top adds extra crunchy textures.
- Cauliflower makes for a great alternative to cabbage.
- To store: You can store leftovers for up to a week in the fridge in an airtight container.
- To reheat: Reheat leftovers in the microwave or oven.
- To freeze: Once cooled, transfer the cabbage steak to a freezer-bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
Check out the Web Story HERE!
Leave a Comment