This Slow Cooker Red Wine Beef Stew doesn’t require any flour and is loaded with potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms. On top of that, it has a very delicious and rich sauce to enjoy!
I’ve tried to make this recipe right for several times now. I know beef stew is a pretty easy recipe to make and if you go with the traditional recipes out there, you won’t be wrong. But I was trying to create a recipe that doesn’t require flour to make the sauce creamy and thick. All the beef stew recipes that I saw online call for at least 3-4 tablespoons of flour. There is nothing wrong with four unless you have some sort of allergy. But since the stew is loaded with potatoes, I thought to make this stew a little lighter, I shouldn’t use flour.
I actually have a recipe called Healthier Beef Stew here on the blog that also requires no flour and we love it. But this time, I wanted to make it with red wine. So I made this healthier beef stew and just added one cup of wine. However, the result wasn’t very good because it was very watery. Then, I thought maybe if I add tomato paste and crush tomato to the sauce it will be thick and I was totally right!
Oh, my Lord!! This sauce is now perfect. It is thick, flavorful, and gluten-free because I didn’t use flour! We are very pleased with the result and I think you will too. This is a complete meal with lots of veggies and protein from the beef. It’s pretty easy to make and you can make it before you go to work and let the slow cooker do all the work for you. Hope you enjoy it.
Healthy Slow Cooker Red Wine Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 lb. beef — cut into cubes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves — minced
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion — chopped into quarters
- 1 cup celery — chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups small red potatoes — cut in half
- 2 carrots — chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms — chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh chopped parsley
- In a large bowl, pat beef dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot enough add the meat and sear on all sides until golden brown. It will take about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Transfer meat to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, add butter. Scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to get all browned meat bits.
- Add onions and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Pour into the skillet red wine and add tomato paste. Mix well and simmer for 1 minute.
- Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients, (don’t add the fresh parsley).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Slow Cooker Red Wine Beef Stew recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Beef Stew recipes: