This lasagna is going to become your favourite lasagna recipe not only because I used zucchini instead of noodles, but also made in the slow cooker.
When I found out people actually make lasagna in a slow cooker I have to confess I was a little skeptical. I wondered if it would taste the same than oven-baked lasagna or I need to do something different from the traditional lasagna recipe in order to get the same flavor.
I was surprised to know that it is even easier to make than the traditional recipe because you don’t need to boil the noodles before you add them in a slow cooker, and the process is the same than if you would make it in the oven. Ladle tomato sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker, layer the noodles (in this case zucchini noodles), then ricotta mixture and mozzarella cheese and repeat the layers again and again until all the ingredients are used.
Slow Cooker lasagna tastes just like the ones we make in the oven with the difference that you can prepare the lasagna in advance (perhaps after your kids go to the bed or before you leave for working) and you are going to be able to enjoy your day and still have a delicious plate of lasagna for dinner?!
Probably the flexibility in the timing is the biggest advantage of making your lasagna in a slow cooker. Don’t you think?
That’s why I love slow cooker recipes and that’s why I had shared with you guys my 50 healthy slow cooker recipes a while ago. It is a recipe roundup post load with delicious and comforting food for you make this fall/winter season.
Depending on how much layer your lasagna has, you can feed an army with this nutritious meal or if you don’t have a big family you are going to have loads of leftovers for a family of four. I made this lasagna on Sunday and we brought it to work for lunch for 3 days. And I have to tell you that it tastes even better the next day.
For this recipe I sliced my zucchinis with my mandolin that I got for Christmas from my mother-in-law 2 years ago. I love it just because it makes PERFECT zucchini slices and also makes your work so much easier. I was looking at my mandolin online and I couldn’t find exactly the same one that I have, but I read good reviews about this one from OXO. Also just in case you wonder which slow cooker I used for this recipe, I found it on amazon as well. I love this one because I’ve never had any problem with it such as cook the food faster than it should or runs very hot. So, I hope you guys enjoy this recipe and give it a try. As usual I would like to say thank you for visiting my blog and make my recipes. It means a lot for me. Have a wonderful and bright day.
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce* or your favorite sauce
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced ⅛" thick. (UPDATE: Since some readers are saying that this lasagna become a little soupy I made this lasagna again but this time I grilled the zucchini slices before I put on the slow cooker. It helped to draw out some moisture!
- 16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese, spinach. Stir well and set it aside.
- Lightly coat the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Ladle about 1 cup of homemade tomato sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker and spread it well.
- Layer 5 or 6 zucchini slices to cover.
- Place some of the ricotta cheese mixture and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers until all your ingredients are all used up.
- Top the lasagna with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and let stand for about 1 hours. (UPDATE: Since some readers said the lasagna became a little soupy, I made it again and I let it stand for about 3 HOURS before serving. I found it was great because the liquid absorbed much more - Please, do not forget this step).
- Before serving top with fresh parsley
*For the homemade tomato sauce, click here.
Please, if you recreate this roundup recipe, take a picture and tag @primaverakitchen and #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version. Thanks a lot.
If you like Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.