I love making lasagna without traditional noodles. Instead, I always make it with zucchini or eggplant slices. I make almost every month my Spinach and Zucchini Lasagna for my husband, but since my husband doesn’t like eggplant (and refuses to eat it), it’s been a while since I’ve made lasagna using eggplant. Even though I like eggplant, I really don’t enjoy cooking only for me.
A few weeks ago, my husband was traveling for work and my mom came to visit us in Canada for three weeks. We were doing groceries when she saw eggplants and said: “can we buy them and make eggplant lasagna?” I couldn’t believe my ears. OMG, I’ll finally be able to make eggplant lasagna again!! That’s awesome! So, we bought the eggplants, made this low-carb eggplant lasagna and we enjoyed it all week.
Tip to avoid the Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna Recipe to become watering or soggy:
- First, you need to sprinkle some coarse salt on top of the eggplant slices.
- Second, set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Third, you will pat them with a paper towel to remove the excess moisture and the coarse salt too.
- Finally, you have to grill the slices for about 3 minutes on each side. This is the most important step. It will help to keep the lasagna nice and firm.
I promise to you, if you follow these four tips your Low-carb Eggplant Lasagna will be very flavorful and not very watery. Please, do not skip these four steps before assembling the lasagne.
Only after these two steps, I assembled the lasagna, adding first the homemade tomato sauce on a casserole. Then, I added the eggplant slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. I repeated the layers until all the ingredients are used up. Finally, I sprinkled some parmesan cheese and bake it for about 50 minutes. Done!
Oh, I can’t forget to say: before serving, you should let the lasagna cool down for about 20 minutes. It’ll also help to keep it less watery.
This lasagna is very flavorful and perfect if you are on a low-carb or gluten-free diet. The best part of this low-carb eggplant lasagna is that it’s so good, you won’t even miss the noodles. Even if you are a carb lover, you will enjoy having this eggplant lasagna for dinner with your family.
Low-carb Eggplant Lasagna
This Low-Carb Eggplant Lasagna recipe is made with eggplant slices, which makes it perfect for those who are following a low-carb or gluten-free diet. It’s absolutely delicious too!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced 1/8″ thick (I used my mandoline to create perfect eggplant slices)
- Coarse salt
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (save some for topping)
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce or your favorite sauce
- 16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a clean surface.
- Sprinkle some coarse salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Remove the excess moisture with a paper towel.
- In a greasy grill pan, place some eggplant slices and grill each eggplant slice for about 3 minutes each side. The pictures above illustrate these 2 steps. (Please, don’t skip the steps 3 and 4. They are very important to avoid the lasagna to become soupy.)
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, and an egg. Stir well.
- In a 9×12 casserole, spread some tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Layer 5 or 6 eggplant slices to cover.
- Spread some of the ricotta cheese mixture all over the eggplant slices and top with the mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers until all your ingredients are all used up.
- Top with sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan.
- Bake 40 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.
- Let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley.
Do you want to try more low-carb lasagna recipes? I have few more for you and they are very delicious:
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page here.
Yield: 12, Serving Size: 1/9
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 223
- Total Fat: 12.4g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Carbohydrates: 10.6g
- Sugar: 4.4g
- Protein: 18.5g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
And if you like this Low-carb Eggplant Lasagna recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.