This gluten free Zucchini Lasagna Roll is healthy but with all the flavour of the traditional version. It is very easy to make and it is stuffed with ricotta, Parmesan and topped with marinara and mozzarella cheese.
Around three weeks before my baby arrived in this world, my husband and I decided to cook as much recipes as we could and we froze them because we knew it was going to be hard to make dinner the first weeks after my delivery. Although my mom was with me for one month and helping with cooking and cleaning I knew when she went back to Brazil I wouldn’t have much time to cook. So, when she left we started to eat the dinners we had made before.
My freezer was full of frozen food and almost 7 weeks later I still have some frozen food in my fridge for the busy days. We made meatballs, meatloaf (I’ll share this recipe soon), chicken pot pie (I also will be sharing this recipe soon) and of course one of my favorite dinners, which is zucchini lasagna.
But this time I made zucchini lasagna roll recipe because I think it is much more convenient to freeze them.
I decided to use zucchini instead of noodles to make this recipe because in my opinion zucchini is more flavorful than pasta and also this veggie freezes better than noodles.
This is actually a great substitute for pasta if you want to reduce the amount of carbs from your diet. Also, I used part skim ricotta to keep these lasagna rolls even lighter.
These super easy zucchini lasagna roll recipe is also made with my homemade tomato sauce, which is great because it is made with less sugar and fresh ingredients. One note before you run to try this amazing recipe.
When you thaw out the rolls overnight you may have excess water, simply remove the water and heat up. I hope I inspired you to try this recipe because I am sure you and your family will enjoy it very much.
Please, if you recreate this recipe, please take a picture and tag @primaverakitchen and #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version. Thanks a lot.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll
This gluten free Zucchini Lasagna Roll is healthy but with all the flavour of the traditional version. It is very easy to make and it is stuffed with zucchini, ricotta, Parmesan and topped with marinara and mozzarella cheese.
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce or your favorite sauce
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick (UPDATE: Grill or broil the zucchini slices before assembling your lasagna. It helps to draw out some moisture!)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, parsley, Parmesan cheese and an egg. Stir well.
- In a casserole spread some homemade tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Start assembling your lasagna roll ups by placing of wax paper, aluminum foil or a clean cutting board on the counter and lay out zucchini noodles.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture first over each individual zucchini noodle.
- Then, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully roll up and place them in the baking dish.
- After that, use remaining tomato sauce to top the zucchini lasagna rolls.
- Sprinkle Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until cheese is melted.
Yield: 9, Serving Size: 1/9
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 251
- Total Fat: 13.9g
- Sodium: 519.2mg
- Carbohydrates: 11.9g
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Protein: 20.8g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
If you like Zucchini Lasagna Roll recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Zucchini Lasagna Recipes!