This gluten-free Zucchini Lasagna Roll recipe is healthy but with all the flavor of the traditional version. It is very easy to make and it is stuffed with ricotta and parmesan and topped with marinara and mozzarella cheese.
Around three weeks before my baby arrived in this world, my husband and I decided to cook as many recipes as we could and we froze them. We knew it was going to be hard to make dinner the first weeks after my delivery. Although my mom was with me for one month and helping with cooking and cleaning, I knew once she went back to Brazil, I wouldn’t have much time to cook. So, when she left we started to eat the dinners we had made before.
My freezer was full of frozen food and almost 7 weeks later, I still have some frozen food in my fridge for the busy days. We made meatballs, meatloaf (I’ll share this recipe soon), chicken pot pie (I also will be sharing this recipe soon) and of course, one of my favorite dinners, which is zucchini lasagna.
But this time, I made zucchini lasagna rolls because I think they are much more convenient to freeze them. They’re just like my Vegetable Lasagna Roll-ups and Skinny Lasagna Rolls but super low carb thanks to the zucchini!
I decided to use zucchini instead of noodles to make this recipe because, in my opinion, zucchini is more flavorful than pasta and also zucchini freezes better than noodles.
This is actually a great substitute for pasta if you want to reduce the amount of carbs from your diet. Also, I used part skim ricotta to keep these lasagna rolls even lighter.
This super easy zucchini lasagna roll recipe is also made with my homemade tomato sauce, which is great because it is made with less sugar and fresh ingredients.
One note before you run to try this amazing recipe: When you thaw out the rolls overnight you may have excess water, simply remove the water and heat up. I hope I inspired you to try this recipe because I am sure you and your family will enjoy it very much.
Don’t feel like turning on your oven? Try this Low-Carb Zucchini Lasagna Skillet instead!
Please, if you recreate this recipe, please take a picture and tag @primaverakitchen and #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version. Thanks a lot.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce or sugar-free tomato sauce.
- 4 medium zucchini sliced 1/8" thick (UPDATE: Grill or broil the zucchini slices before assembling your lasagna. It helps to draw out some moisture!)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parsley, parmesan cheese, and an egg. Stir well.
- In a casserole, spread some homemade tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Start by placing wax paper, aluminum foil, or a clean cutting board on the counter and lay out zucchini slices.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture first over each individual zucchini slice.
- Then, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully roll up and place them in the baking dish.
- After that, use remaining tomato sauce to top the zucchini lasagna rolls.
- Sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until cheese is melted.
- Use smaller zucchinis as super large zucchinis tend to be watery.
- Shredding cheese from a block will yield a smoother melty cheese than pre-shredded cheese.
- Feel free to add more cheese on top if you want a cheesier lasagna roll up.
- To store: Keep in mind that zucchini is a watery vegetable so the longer you store it, the more the texture changes (this is why I don't recommend freezing this). So, try eating this zucchini lasagna roll recipe immediately or only keeping it for 2-3 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- To reheat: Reheat the lasagna rolls in the microwave until warmed through.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like Zucchini Lasagna Roll recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Zucchini Lasagna Recipes!