This gluten-free Zucchini Lasagna Roll recipe is healthy but with all the flavor of the traditional version. It is very easy to make and it is stuffed with ricotta and parmesan and topped with marinara and mozzarella cheese.
Around three weeks before my baby arrived in this world, my husband and I decided to cook as many recipes as we could and we froze them. We knew it was going to be hard to make dinner the first weeks after my delivery. Although my mom was with me for one month and helping with cooking and cleaning, I knew once she went back to Brazil, I wouldn’t have much time to cook. So, when she left we started to eat the dinners we had made before.
My freezer was full of frozen food and almost 7 weeks later, I still have some frozen food in my fridge for the busy days. We made meatballs, meatloaf (I’ll share this recipe soon), chicken pot pie (I also will be sharing this recipe soon) and of course, one of my favorite dinners, which is zucchini lasagna.
But this time, I made zucchini lasagna rolls because I think they are much more convenient to freeze them.
I decided to use zucchini instead of noodles to make this recipe because, in my opinion, zucchini is more flavorful than pasta and also zucchini freezes better than noodles.
This is actually a great substitute for pasta if you want to reduce the amount of carbs from your diet. Also, I used part skim ricotta to keep these lasagna rolls even lighter.
This super easy zucchini lasagna roll recipe is also made with my homemade tomato sauce, which is great because it is made with less sugar and fresh ingredients.
One note before you run to try this amazing recipe: When you thaw out the rolls overnight you may have excess water, simply remove the water and heat up. I hope I inspired you to try this recipe because I am sure you and your family will enjoy it very much.
Please, if you recreate this recipe, please take a picture and tag @primaverakitchen and #primaverakitchen on Instagram! I would love to see your version. Thanks a lot.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Recipe
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 2 tbsp parsley — chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 16 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese — shredded
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce or your favorite sauce
- 4 medium zucchini — sliced 1/8" thick (UPDATE: Grill or broil the zucchini slices before assembling your lasagna. It helps to draw out some moisture!)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parsley, parmesan cheese, and an egg. Stir well.
- In a casserole, spread some homemade tomato sauce on the bottom.
- Start by placing wax paper, aluminum foil, or a clean cutting board on the counter and lay out zucchini slices.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture first over each individual zucchini slice.
- Then, sprinkle some mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully roll up and place them in the baking dish.
- After that, use remaining tomato sauce to top the zucchini lasagna rolls.
- Sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until cheese is melted.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/9) — Calories: 251, Fat: 13.9g, Sodium: 519.2mg, Carbohydrates: 11.9g, Sugar: 4.9g, Protein: 20.8g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like Zucchini Lasagna Roll recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Zucchini Lasagna Recipes!