These healthy, hearty Vegetable Lasagna Roll-ups with cheese and tomato sauce are easier to make than traditional lasagna and still super delicious!
This is one of my favorite, whole wheat lasagna recipes because it is full of veggies. Every chance I have to add veggies in my recipes, I will do it. There is nothing more delicious than a flavorful vegetable dish. I love finding alternatives, making traditional not-so-healthy dishes healthier.
Lasagna is something I always eat in Brazil (Italian food is very popular down there since there are many Italian immigrants living in Brazil). Now I think I eat even more since my husband’s father’s family are Italian descendants. They all cook Italian food so well and from scratch! His grandma (she likes to be called Nonna), his aunts, and even his father make delicious traditional lasagna with fresh pasta and tomato sauce. Hum… so good. Ah, I can’t let my mother-in-law out of this list. She makes amazing traditional lasagna as well.
So, why I am telling you guys all that? Because when I said to my husband, “today we were going to eat veggie lasagna”, he looked at me and said, “are you kidding? I don’t want to eat lasagna without ricotta and with veggies.” I know, right? So annoying. But he always ends up eating everything I cook for us. He just does that to joke around 😉
So, in the end, he repeated the lasagna dish twice. I’m not kidding … He liked it a lot. And I don’t even need to say that I loved it. It is so tasty and at the same time, it is light since I didn’t add ricotta, only mozzarella cheese. But if you want to add ricotta, go ahead. I am sure it will be delicious as well.
Let’s go to check this goodie recipe.
I hope you give it a try. If you like this recipe don’t forget to share with your friends and family.
Want to browse all of my healthy recipe posts? Follow my Primavera Kitchen Board on Pinterest!!! I also have great Pinterest Boards such as Healthy Dinner, Healthy Pasta Meal, Healthy Slow Cooker Meals and Soups and Stews. I hope you enjoy all the delicious and healthy recipes I have there!!
Vegetable Lasagna Roll ups
- 9 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pearl onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup zucchini — diced
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 4 cups homemade tomato sauce or your favorite sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add lasagna noodles and cook for time indicated on the package. Drain the pasta, rinse and transfer to a bowl.
- Cut and trim the tough stems away from the kale. Stack a few the leaves on top of each other.
- Roughly cut the leaves. Wash the kale leaves and set aside to drain.
- In a saucepan, add the extra-olive oil over medium heat. Add pearl onions and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds before the garlic gets brown.
- Add the yellow pepper, broccoli florets, and zucchini. Cook the mix for about 3 or 4 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Turn the heat lower and add the kale, stirring until wilted.
- Finally, season to taste with salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
- Ladle about 1 cup of tomato sauce in a baking dish and spread it well.
- Start assembling your lasagna roll-ups by placing on wax paper, aluminum foil or a clean cutting board on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles.
- Spread about 3 tbsp of the tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of the veggies over each individual lasagna noodle. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully roll up and place seam side down in rows in the baking dish. After that, use remaining tomato sauce to top the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for approximately 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15-20 minutes more until cheese is melted.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/9) — Calories: 214, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 682mg, Potassium: 561mg, Carbohydrates: 29g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 11g, Vitamin A: 78%, Vitamin C: 178%, Calcium: 20%, Iron: 14%
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Thank you so much for stopping by. Bring joy and veggie lasagna into your life. More delicious lasagna recipe to try? I am sure you would enjoy this Spinach Zucchini Lasagna!
You can also try these Skinny Lasagna Rolls. They are made with part-skim ricotta and mozzarella and whole wheat noodles. It is easy, quick, and healthy meal for all your family.