This gluten and dairy-free, low-carb Almond Butter Waffles recipe are made with almond butter and dark chocolate chips for a delicious and healthy weekend breakfast!
Hello, Guys! Happy Saturday
I hope that the weekend has gotten off to a great start so far. Spring is here and summer is already around the corner and I feel like enjoying every single second of the weekend. Anything fun planned for the weekend? I was thinking of going for a picnic. I’ve been craving my Easy Asparagus Pasta Salad and it would be perfect for a picnic!
Last Friday before going to the bed, my sweet hubby asked me to make waffles for him on Saturday morning for breakfast. I told him that I was going to think about it, but in reality I was craving some waffles too. It’s been a while since I’ve made my waffle recipe and it just seems so crazy, since I am a HUGE waffles lover. Why do I love waffles? Because they are so flavorful and also just by swapping ingredients you can make a different one every time like this Gluten Free Peanut Butter Waffles.
I woke up in the morning and I thought I’d make my Peanut Butter Waffles recipe because it is very easy, quick, gluten free and so delicious. But I couldn’t because my pantry was out of peanut butter (we used it up making these Low-Carb Peanut Butter Cookies!). I realized I had almond butter, which has the same texture than peanut butter. So, I used almond butter because I know it wouldn’t change the recipe much. I also used almond milk instead of coconut milk. As I said so many times before I have replaced the sugar with honey/maple in my pancakes or waffles batters because I just think sugar makes it too sweet.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
But if you feel you should add some sugar I would recommend only 2 tablespoons of sugar. However, what really made the difference in this Almond Butter Waffles recipe were the chocolate chips. No kidding!! It melts with the heat of the waffle maker and brings this waffle to whole new level. Guys, you have to try this recipe to understand what I am talking about. So good!! This waffle recipe is also great for Easter as well! I mean, who doesn’t love waffles? If you need more brunch ideas for Easter, check out my 10 Healthy Easter Brunch Recipes.
ps: I used this Professional Waffle Maker to make my waffles. This is great because it lets you bake the same deep-pocketed waffles from your favorite restaurant, right at home. It is really easy to operate and easy to clean too. I just use a paper towel to brush any waffle dust off once it cools and the best part: it flips so that the waffle will cook evenly on both sides.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page here.
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium heat setting.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
- In a medium bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites thoroughly until they become foamy.
- Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix everything together.
- Then, folding egg whites into your batter.
- Add chocolate chips and mix everything well.
- Spray both surfaces of your waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Use a ladle to pour mixture on the waffle iron.
- Top the batter with a few additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Cook waffles until crispy and golden brown.
- Top with your favorite fruit and pure Canadian maple syrup.
- If the almond butter is separated in the jar, make sure to mix it together before adding it to your waffle batter.
- Make sure to spray your waffle maker so the waffles don't stick. Even with non-stick irons, they sometimes stick and make cleaning difficult.
- When preparing them, do not stack the cooled waffles as they will get soggy.
- To store: You can store leftover waffles in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: You can reheat the waffles in the microwave or toaster.
- To freeze: Flash freeze the waffles on a lined sheet pan before transferring them to a freezer-bag and freeze up for to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Almond Butter Waffles recipe and think it is worthy, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates.
More Waffle Recipe!