As I sit down to write this post, my mom and our boy Tomtom (Thomas) are playing outside on the patio. We have a small plastic pool, and they’re enjoying the beautiful day. It’s sunny, the sky is blue, and the weather is perfect.
My living room has a large sliding door, so I can see them easily from here. My heart is full of love right now. I love when these two are together having fun. Since my mom lives in another country, moments like this are rare. By rare, I mean only twice a year.
I have to say it’s a very hard situation, but at the same time, we value these moments more because we don’t see each other every day or every week.
This skillet is good for a quick and light dinner, but it’s also wonderful as leftovers for lunch. It lasts well for up to 5 days in the fridge. You can make this Ground Beef Veggie Skillet ahead of time and take to work. Also, you can serve it with cauliflower “rice” and roasted veggies. But if you’re not on a low-carb diet, you can serve this recipe with fluffy rice, quinoa, or even pasta. Enjoy!
See Below for how to make this Ground Beef Veggie Skillet Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound grass-fed extra-lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup onions diced
- ½ cup red bell peppers diced
- 1 medium zucchini quartered
- ½ pound asparagus cut into three segments each
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup tomato passata or tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese crumbled, for garnishing
- fresh parsley chopped, for garnishing
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground beef and garlic. Use a wooden spoon to break up the ground beef while it cooks. Stir occasionally, and cook for about 7 minutes until no longer pink. Remove the meat from the skillet, and set aside.
- Add the onions and red bell peppers to the same skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the onions are soft. If it is necessary, add a little bit of olive oil to help sauté the veggies.
- Add the zucchini and asparagus, and cook for 3-5 minutes. It depends on how tender you prefer your veggies.
- Return the ground beef to the skillet, and mix everything together.
- Add the Dijon, tomato passata, oregano, crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and feta cheese.
- Make sure to remove the woody stems from the asparagus before cutting them into 3.
- Avoid using large zucchinis as they're on the watery side.
- Make sure the veggies are well washed before using as the skin is kept on.
- To store: Store the beef and zucchini in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat the meal prep in the microwave until hot.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
And if you like this Ground Beef Veggie Skillet recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Try my 9 Healthy Veggie Burger Recipes! Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates like this Shrimp Fried Rice with Broccoli. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.