Make this classic Italian Kale Carbonara recipe packed with eggs, cheese, bacon and kale and you will see how rich and flavourful this meal is. Enjoy!
Now that I have a little baby boy to take care of I really started to appreciate more and more recipes that are done very fast because I just have time to cook between my son’s naps. So, I can’t think about a faster and delicious Italian recipe than carbonara. It is so quick to make because while your pasta is been cooking you will be cooking the bacon. Then when your pasta is done, the bacon will be done too and you will need only about 1 or 2 minutes to cook the eggs. Once the eggs are cooked your dish will be done too.
This isn’t like the traditional carbonara recipe because I added kale. I am a kind of person that always tries to eat some green or some veggies in pretty much all my lunch or dinner meals and especially when I am eating pasta because it makes me feel less guilty I guess 😉
I’ve been really in love with kale lately. It’s SO healthy and so delicious. They’re also so versatile. Here’s How to Make Spicy Kale Chips if you want to turn kale into a snack. You can also use kale for this Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet, Kale Salad with Crispy Sweet Potato, Chopped Red Cabbage Kale Salad, and Easy Kale Breakfast Salad Recipe!
I also think when you add greens in your recipes you are just making them taste much more flavourful, don’t you think? So, if I can give you a suggestion, add kale in your traditional carbonara recipe and you will be surprised by the flavour. I really hope you enjoy this recipe and make this for you and your family this week.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add spaghetti. When your spaghetti is al dente add the kale and cook it for about 2 minutes. Then, before you drain it, save about a cup of the cooking liquid. After draining it, return the pasta to the warm pot.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet and then set it aside. Add kale in the skillet and cook until it is wilted.
- Pour the eggs over the spaghetti and add the cheese, bacon and wilted kale.
- Toss with tongs, adding a little reserved pasta water if you like, until the eggs are cooked, which is about one minute or two.
- You don’t need to add all the liquid you saved. It will depend on how liquid you want your sauce to be.
- Season with fresh ground black pepper.
- If you do not have bacon, try pancetta.
- Use room temperature eggs to help the sauce get smooth and light. Cold eggs can lead to clumpy sauce.
- Make sure you are adding spaghetti and sauce off the heat or you might end up with scrambled eggs.
- To store: Store leftover carbonara in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat the carbonara gently on the stovetop on the lowest setting.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Kale Carbonara recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Pasta Recipes!