This Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet recipe is a delicious one-pan meal that will be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. It is also gluten-free, paleo-friendly, whole30, and perfect for your busy weeknight dinner.
The first part of this post was written on January 2, 2017.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, friends!
I hope you all had a very fun and safe New Years Eve and enjoyed the time surrounded by lovely friends and family. I would like to take this opportunely to wish you a year full of love, happiness, success, and of course, lots of healthy food on your table.
Last week, we had a great time with my in-laws in Montreal for Christmas and later with my aunt, uncle, and cousins in the Boston area. We had a really good time there, especially because they hadn’t met our baby Thomas yet. It was so good to see him playing and laughing all day long with his relatives. Thomas is such an easygoing baby. He goes to everybody’s arms easily without crying, and he smiles all the time. He’s also such a good traveler. He didn’t have any problems with the local food, weather, and or anything else even traveling to so many countries like Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Canada, and the USA in the first year of his life. He is such a blessing to us, and I have to say he is the best thing that happened in our lives and in 2016.
I love this time of the year because I always feel full of energy and excitement to follow my dreams. It’s good to feel like you have new challenges and another chance to set new resolutions for the year. My health-related resolutions for this year are to reduce the amount of sugar in my diet and make healthier choices when we go out for dinner. We always eat very well at home but eating healthy when out is still a struggle for me. So, I hope this year that I’ll do better with that.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
This second part of this post was updated on August 8, 2018 with new pictures and more information about the recipe.
Talking about eating healthy, why not start your year by making this ultra-easy one-skillet Healthy Sweet Potato Chicken Kale recipe that is a feel-good comfort food with lots of nutrients and protein?!! I love using kale in my meals like this Kale Salad with Crispy Sweet Potato, Sweet Potato, Kale and Shrimp Skillet, and Chopped Red Cabbage Kale Salad!
This healthy Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet recipe is one that requires only a single dish. Why am I saying this? Well… This dish is made with sweet potatoes that make you feel very full. Also, it has lots of protein from the chicken, and on top of that, it’s full of vitamins A, C, and D from the kale. And last but not least, this Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet recipe is gluten-free, paleo-friendly, whole30, and full of flavour! Believe me, this recipe will become a winner in your home!
Tips to make this healthy Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet recipe even better:
- Cut the chicken in small cubes that are roughly the same size. This way, the chicken cubes will cook evenly and at the same time.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan, and add the sweet potatoes to cook. Don’t leave the cooked chicken in the pan while cooking the sweet potatoes because the chicken can get overcooked.
- If you prefer, while you are cooking the chicken, you can boil the sweet potatoes, and add them to the pan when the chicken is fully cooked. The healthy Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet recipe will be done sooner.
- If you like, season your chicken with more spices such as paprika, onion powder, chili powder, or thyme.
See below for how to make this Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet:
- 6 bacon strips chopped (You can use any type of bacon, but I recommend using a sugar-free, nitrate-free, and nitrite-free version.)
- 2½ cups free-range organic breast chicken diced
- salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- ¾ cup organic chicken stock
- 4 cups kale chopped
- ½ teaspoon chili peppers flakes
- On a plastic cutting board, cut the chicken into small pieces, and season with salt, pepper, and red chili flakes.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the bacon, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the skillet.
- Cook for about 7 minutes or until it is cooked through.
- Don’t forget to stir well. Remove the chicken and bacon from the skillet, and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the garlic, sweet potatoes, and chicken broth.
- Cook for 7 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked. It will depend on the size of the sweet potato pieces.
- Turn the heat to low, and add the kale, stirring until wilted.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and chili peppers flakes.
- Return the chicken and bacon to the skillet, and stir well until combined. It will take only 1 minute.
- Serve immediately.
- Do you like one-pan meals just like this one? I have a list of delicious one-pan meals here for you.
- Do not remove the bacon grease from the skillet. The grease will help the chicken brown and add flavour.
- Make sure the chicken is cut evenly so it cooks uniformly.
- Use low sodium chicken broth if you're worried about sodium.
- To store: Store the leftover sweet potato chicken kale skillet in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- To reheat: Reheat the leftovers in the microwave until heated through.
- To freeze: Freeze leftovers in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Sweet Potato Chicken Kale Skillet recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.