These Low-Carb Broccoli Tots are veggie-packed and make a delicious, healthy, and dairy-free snack/appetizer for any time of the day!
After I received so much good feedback about the cauliflower tots, I decided to make the recipe again, but this time with broccoli. The recipes are very similar. The only change I made was to squeeze the broccoli three times using two different kitchen towels. I like the result because I could squeeze out more water, making these tots very crispy on the outside and soft from the inside.
Again, I didn’t use Parmesan cheese because I would like to make them dairy-free. Because of this, I added ½ cup of breadcrumbs instead of ¼ of breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of Parmesan. However, if you are a cheese lover you can add it and you’ll be pleased by the result.
This recipe also freezes very well and I defrosted them in a microwave for 2-3minutes. Time will depend on how many you put in the microwave to defrost and the power of your microwave. This recipe is great for your kid’s lunch bag, as a healthy snack alternative during the long afternoons at work, or as an appetizer when you have friends and family over. Hope you enjoy it.
If you bought a ton of broccoli, you should use it up in this Easy Broccoli Salad Recipe, Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole, and Chimichurri Shrimp Broccoli Skillet! They’re such easy and healthy dishes that you can make in a flash.
Low-Carb Broccoli Tots Recipe
- 2 medium heads broccoli - cut into florets
- ½ cup small diced onion
- ½ cup small diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- ½ cup finely ground breadcrumbs - Instead of ½cup of breadcrumbs, you can add ¼ cup of breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of Parmesan if you prefer. Since I want to make it dairy free I added ½ cup of breadcrumbs.
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and ground fresh pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray or olive oil.
- In a large pot bring water to a boil; add salt, the broccoli florets and cook until it is tender. It’s about 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and blend in the food processor for a few seconds.
- Transfer it to a kitchen towel and wring out. You need to squeeze out water as much as you can. I made this recipe without squeeze out the water and the tots were not as crispy as when I squeeze out the water. I really think this process is very important. I changed kitchen towel and squeezed a second time and third time too.
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Spoon about 1 or 2 tablespoons (depends on the size you want your tots to be) of the mixture and with your hands and make a tot shape (see the shape on the pictures).
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the process until you don’t have any more broccoli mixture. The tots should be set 1 inch.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Turn them and bake for more 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve them with ketchup or any other dip of your preference.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Low-Carb Broccoli Tots recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Low-carb Recipes: