Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet is cooked is a super flavourful comfort food. It’s an awesome meal for busy weeknight dinner, weekend or game day party. It’s also low-carb, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30.
It’s not a secret to anyone that I’m a huge fan of one-pan meals or skillet recipes. I use my skillet to cook my recipes almost everyday of the week and it helps me to make delicious and healthy foods in no time.
Why do I love cast iron skillet?
There are so many reasons for that and I could talk about how awesome cast iron skillets are so hours. But here is my 5 top reasons why:
- It’s the perfect skillet to sear, sauté, bake, broil, braise, fry and so on.
- It’s super durable and durable.
- It gives you a nearly natural non-stick surface.
- It works great in the oven, on the stove, on the grill or over the campfire.
- Cast iron skillets evenly distribute heat from the bottom through the sidewalls.
- They are also create source of nutritional iron in your food.
This Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet is the perfect example of a healthy meal that I love making, using my cast iron. It’s super simple and quick to make and it’s a great meal choice for this time of the year when we all are craving more comfort foods.
How to you sauté peppers and onions for a sausage?
- First, you need to heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Then, add the sausage and cook it for about 2-3 minutes until all the sides are brown. At this point sausage won’t be cooked through.
- Remove the sausages from the skillet and place on a cutting board to slice them. Set aside.
- Now it’s time to sauté the onions and bell peppers in the same skillet. If you need add more olive oil or even butter before cook the onions and bell pepper. Add garlic and season with salt and black pepper and red flakes or other spices of your preference. Sauté the veggies for about 3 minutes.
- Pour apple cider or red wine into the skillet with peppers and onions, and scrape bottom of skillet to release all brown bits. This part is very important because the brown bits add more flavour to this dish.
- Bring slices of sausage back into the skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Then, uncover the skillet and increase heat to medium-high and cook for 3 more minutes or just until liquid is evaporated and sausage is cooked through.
- Before serve, top with freshly chopped parsley and basil.
Why I love this Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet?
- It has a very delicious taste with a garlicky flavor that brings this dish to another level.
- It’s a comforting meal that tastes like grandma’s cooking.
- It’s super versatile in terms of “what to serve with”. It’s delicious on its own or you can serve it over mashed cauliflower, regular mashed potato, roasted veggies, rolls and top of pasta, cauliflower rice and/or polenta. It’s totally up to you.
- It’s also low-carb, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30.
More Sausage Recipes to try:
Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh Italian sausage links
- 1 cup white onion — sliced
- 1 cup red onion — sliced
- 1 red bell pepper — sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper — sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper — sliced
- 3 garlic cloves — sliced
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth — you can use red wine as well if you are not on low-carb and Whole30 diets
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly basil
- Over medium-high, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add sausage links, and cook for about 2 minutes each side, just until they get brown (but the sausage will not be cooked though). Place them on a cutting board, slice them and set aside.
Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir constantly. Then add bell pepper, garlic, salt and black pepper and red. Cook for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth to skillet with peppers and onions, and scrape bottom of skillet to release all brown bits. Bring sausage back into the skillet, and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Then, uncover the skillet and increase heat to medium-high and cook for 3 more minutes, just until liquid is evaporated and sausage is cooked through. Top with parsley and basil. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.