Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet is a super-flavourful comfort food. It’s an awesome meal for a busy weeknight dinner, weekend, or game-day party. This recipe is also low-carb, gluten-free, paleo, and whole30.
It’s not a secret to anyone that I’m a huge fan of one-pan meals or skillet recipes. I use my skillet to cook recipes almost every day of the week, which helps me make delicious and healthy foods in no time.
Why do I love cast iron skillets?
There are so many reasons, and I could talk about how awesome cast iron skillets are for hours. But here are my 6 top reasons why:
- They are perfect for searing, sautéing, baking, broiling, braising, and frying.
- These skillets are super durable.
- They have a natural non-stick surface.
- Use them in the oven, on the stove, on the grill, or over the campfire.
- Cast iron skillets evenly distribute heat from the bottom through the sidewalls.
- They also add a source of nutritional iron to your food.
This Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet is the perfect example of a healthy meal that I love making with my cast iron. It’s super simple and quick to make and a great meal choice when you crave comfort foods.
How do you sauté peppers and onions with sausage?
- First, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Then, add the sausage, and cook it for about 2-3 minutes until all the sides are brown. At this point, the sausage won’t be cooked through.
- Remove the sausages from the skillet, and place on a cutting board to slice them. Set aside.
- Now, sauté the onions and bell peppers in the same skillet. If you need to, add more olive oil or even butter or ghee before cooking the onions and bell peppers. Add garlic and season with salt and black pepper and red flakes or other spices of your preference. Sauté the veggies for about 3 minutes.
- Pour apple cider or red wine into the skillet with the peppers and onions, and scrape the bottom of the skillet to release all the brown bits. This part is very important because the brown bits add more flavour to this dish.
- Put the slices of sausage back into the skillet, and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Then, uncover the skillet, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for 3 more minutes or just until the liquid is evaporated and the sausage is cooked completely.
- Before serving, top with freshly chopped parsley and basil.
Why do I love this Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet?
- It has a very delicious taste with a garlicky flavor that takes this dish to another level.
- This comforting meal tastes like Grandma’s cooking.
- This recipe is super-versatile in terms of what to serve with it. Although delicious on its own, you can serve it over mashed cauliflower, regular mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, and on top of pasta, cauliflower rice, and polenta. You decide.
- It’s also low-carb, gluten-free, paleo, and whole30.
More Italian sausage recipes to try:
And these other Italian Sausage Recipes are great too:
- One-Pan Italian Sausage Meal-Prep Bowls
- Italian Sausage Cauliflower Rice Skillet
- Italian Sausage Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce with Italian Sausage
- Cabbage and Sausage Stew
See below for how to make Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet:
Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound fresh Italian sausage links
- 1 cup white onion — sliced
- 1 cup red onion — sliced
- 1 red bell pepper — sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper — sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper — sliced
- 3 garlic cloves — sliced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup chicken broth (you can use red wine as well if you are not on low-carb and whole30 diets)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the sausage links, and cook for about 2 minutes each side, just until they turn brown. The sausage will not be cooked through. Place them on a cutting board, slice them, and set aside.
Add the onions, and cook for about 2 minutes. Stir constantly. Then, add the bell peppers, garlic, salt and black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
Add the chicken broth to the skillet with the peppers and onions, and scrape the bottom of the skillet to release all the brown bits. Return the sausage back to the skillet, and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Then, uncover the skillet, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for 3 more minutes, just until the liquid is evaporated and the sausage is cooked through. Top with parsley and basil. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 337, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 52mg, Sodium: 1189mg, Potassium: 619mg, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 8g, Protein: 30g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Italian Sausage, Onions and Peppers Skillet recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.