These Low-carb Cauliflower Tots are the perfect baked afternoon snack because you can eat a dozen of them without feeling guilty.
My family and I had a very busy weekend receiving close friends over to celebrate Thomas birthday. Yes, before you think “her baby is already 1 year old?!!”, I’ll say “yes, time flies!”. A few months ago I was talking about the date he was born and now one year later we were all together to celebrate the life of our sweet, kind, calm, smart, and smiling little angle. We didn’t make anything big, but it was perfect for him.
We invited a few friends (what we could fit in our small condo) who are almost the same age than Tomtom (his nickname ;-)) and they all played together. My friends came as well and we talked, drank, and ate a lot all afternoon. At the end of the day, I was pretty tired but happy to see that Thomas had fun. I took some pictures and posted them on my personal Instagram and this week I’ll be posting more here on a blog.
Talking about celebrations and parties how about making these low-carb cauliflower tots to your guests? They will love them. Who doesn’t love tots, right? You also can make them for your kids to bring to school or for you. These are great as a healthy afternoon snack or on-the-go.
These low-carb cauliflower tots are pretty easy to make. However, it requires a little bit of prep time because you have to cook the cauliflower, blend it in a food processor, and make the tot shape with your hands. But it is so worth it. This is flavorful and also vegan because I didn’t add Parmesan. All the tots recipes out there call for parmesan and I think if you add it, you will make it even more flavorful (the instructions to add Parmesan is in the recipe below). I didn’t use Parmesan because I made it for my baby boy. I am not giving dairy just yet to him. Hope you enjoy it 😉
Low-carb Cauliflower Tots Recipe
- 1 medium head cauliflower - cut into florets
- 1/2 cup small diced onion
- 1/2 cup small diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup finely ground breadcrumbs - (instead of 1/2cup of breadcrumbs, you can add ¼ cup of breadcrumbs and ¼ cup of parmesan if you prefer. Since I want to make it dairy free, I added ½ cup of breadcrumbs.)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and ground fresh pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray or you can grease with olive oil.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add salt.
- Add the cauliflower florets and cook until it is tender.
- Drain and blend in the food processor for a few seconds (you want to get the consistency of “rice”).
- Transfer it to a kitchen towel and wring out. You need to squeeze out water as much as you can. I made this recipe without squeezing out the water and the tots were not as crispy as when I squeeze out the water. I really think this process is very important.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients together.
- Spoon about 1 or 2 tablespoons (depends on the size you want your tots to be) of the mixture and with your hands and make a tot shape (see the shape on the pictures).
- Place them on the prepared baking sheet and repeat the process until you don’t have any more cauliflower mixture. The tots should be set 1 inch.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Turn them and bake for more 15 minutes or until crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve with ketchup or any other dip of your preference.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Low-carb Cauliflower Tots recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
More Cauliflower Recipes: