These Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones are gluten-free and made with almond flour, shredded coconut, and fresh juicy strawberries.
I have to confess something: This is the first time that I made scones in my life! Yep! Shame on me! That’s ridiculous, right? How come a food blogger has never made scones in her life?!! Well, I have a good explanation for that. I wasn’t born in North America. In Brazil, we don’t really have this delicious dessert to enjoy. I know I’ve been living in Canada for years now and for this reason, I should have made scones before especially because they are awesome. But I finally decided to make a scone recipe that is amazing and perfect for this time of the year. 😘👏
I’m talking about these low-carb strawberry coconut scones that I found on one of my favorite food blogs Eat Good 4 Life. Miryam created this recipe with almond flour, which made me very interested to try because I love to bake with almond flour. But instead of using unrefined sugar, I used a natural sweetener called Swerve. It’s great if you are on a low-carb diet and/or if you are trying to control your diabetes since erythritol is a sugar alcohol that does not affect blood glucose and has zero calories. I prefer to buy the granulated form of this because it measures spoon for spoon in place of sugar, which is great for baking. Of course, if you don’t have any problem using normal sugar, you can use in this low-carb strawberry coconut scones recipe too.
The strawberries add such a nice sweetness to this recipe as well. I’m absolutely in love with strawberries and try to cook with them all the time like my Low-carb No Bake Chocolate Strawberry Bars, Strawberry Chia Pudding, and these 10 Healthy Strawberry Summer Treats.
Because this low-carb strawberry coconut scones recipe is gluten-free, made with almond flour (affiliate link), the texture is not the same as the traditional scone recipes. However, I’m sure you’ll be very pleased with the flavor, especially with the fresh, sweet, and tart strawberries.
The shredded coconut also adds another layer of flavor that you can’t imagine. These low-carb strawberry coconut scones are perfect, soft, crumbly, and healthy. For sure, it is the perfect scones to make during strawberry season.
Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line with parchment paper a 9 inch round baking pan, leaving an overhang on the sides to lift the cake/scone out when it’s done. Set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, add the egg, coconut oil, sweetener, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula if necessary.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the almond flour, cornstarch, shredded coconut, and baking powder until just incorporated.
- Add the strawberries and with your hands incorporate them into the batter.
- Remove the batter from the mixer bowl to the prepared baking pan. Spread the batter evenly. If you prefer, you can sprinkle some coarse sugar or granulated sweetener over the top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Lift the scones up from the pan and cut into 8 pieces.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
So, I hope you enjoy this Low-carb Strawberry Coconut Scones recipe and try to make some in your own kitchen today. If you like this recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.