You don’t need to run out to the grocery store just to make this Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe. All you need are a couple of pantry staples and you’re good to go! Simply coat your chicken breasts in some seasoning and then they’ll cook up in no time in your air fryer.
Whether you want to make a couple of chicken breasts for a salad or for a quick bite, this air fryer chicken breast recipe is going to be your new go-to method. This is a simple foolproof recipe that yields juicy chicken every single time. They’re easy to make and are so flavourful without needing to brine them!
I love using an air fryer to make my chicken breasts as it’s hands-off. There’s no splashing oil, no flipping, and best of all, easy. While you get the same benefit by cooking chicken breasts in the oven, you won’t heat up the whole kitchen with the air fryer as an oven would! Seriously, you really need to try cooking chicken breasts in the air fryer, it’s game changing!
I’ve been using my air fryer quite often lately, especially in the summer (again, to avoid heating up the kitchen with the oven). If you’ve got a new air fryer and want to try a few more easy recipes, try this Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe or Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe if you want another air fryer recipe.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Breasts — Always try to get chicken breasts that are similar in size so you don’t end up with an overcooked or undercooked chicken breast. Check out ButcherBox for free-range organic chicken with no antibiotics or added hormones.
- Olive oil — I like to use olive oil but you can use another oil such as avocado oil if you prefer.
- Seasoning — I use a mix of salt, dried oregano, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika to season my air fryer chicken thighs. Feel free to change things up.
Prepare the Air Fryer and Chicken
- Preheat air fryer to 400F degrees and pat dry the chicken breasts to help the seasoning stick better.
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil.
Prepare the Seasoning
- In a small bowl, add salt, dried oregano, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix all well.
- Using your hands, rub the mixture seasoning over both sides of the chicken until they’re fully coated.
Air Fry the Chicken Breasts
- Place the chicken breasts inside the air fryer and set the cooking time for 12 minutes. If you are worried about your chicken sticking to your air fryer basket, you can spray the basket with some oil before adding the chicken into it.
- Using a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken breasts. Once they reach 160F degrees, it’s ready to eat.
- Allow the chicken to rest for a couple of minutes before you slice into them so they stay juicy!
How to Meal Prep Chicken Breasts
- Double or triple this air fryer chicken breast recipe and air fry them in batches.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight meal prep container either portioned out or in one large container.
- Keep refrigerated for up to four days.
- Reheat in the air fryer or microwave when ready to eat.
Recipes That You Can Use Cooked Chicken Breasts For
There are many times that recipes called for cooked chicken. Usually, leftover shredded chicken works but for when there’s none in the fridge, throwing some chicken breasts into the air fryer works perfectly. Try these easy salad recipes that pair really well with my air fryer chicken breasts.
- Chicken Salad with Spicy Mayo Dressing
- Chopped Chicken Salad
- Grilled Chicken Cabbage Salad
- Grilled Chicken Avocado Salad
- Low Carb Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
More Seasoning Ideas
Here are a few seasoning ideas to change things up.
- Herbes de Provence
- Italian seasoning
- BBQ chicken rub
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Chipotle seasoning
- Mediterranean Dry Rub
- Cajun seasoning
Can I Stack the Breasts in the Air Fryer?
I do not recommend stacking the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket as you want the air to be able to circulate and reach every part of the chicken breasts. Always avoid overcrowding the air fryer.
Is Air Fryer Chicken Healthy?
Chicken breasts are a lean protein option, making them a great healthy option. The air fyrer does not require a ton of butter or oil and especially compared to deep frying, the air fryer is a great healthy way to cook chicken breasts. Excessive oil is also able to drip onto the bottom of the air fryer instead of allowing the breasts to absorb extra oil.
How to Freeze Chicken Breasts
If you want to make these chicken breasts ahead of time to freeze for meal prepping, you can do so by allowing the breasts to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, transfer the breasts to an airtight freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, simply thaw in the fridge overnight and then gently reheat in the microwave or air fryer.
Do I Have to Preheat My Air Fryer?
I like to preheat my air fryer for these chicken breasts so the cooking time can be shorter. If you do not preheat the air fryer, then the chicken breasts will take longer to cook.
More Chicken Breasts Recipes to Try
- Baked Chicken Breast Recipe: Baked chicken breast recipe is always a budget-friendly and wholesome, healthy dinner. This recipe uses a simple, 3-step process to ensure the best tender, juicy, and flavorful chicken, every time!
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast: This fast, easy, and delicious Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe is a perfect meal for a weeknight dinner. And, it only requires a handful of simple ingredients! You’ll be making this recipe in no time.
- Rosemary Lemon Roasted Chicken Breasts: Fresh rosemary, lemon juice, and garlic are three simple yet flavourful ingredients that create this beautiful and delicious Rosemary Lemon Roasted Chicken Breasts recipe. It is gluten-free, paleo-friendly, and low-carb too!
- Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast: Tender, juicy Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast, that’s packed with flavour from the garlic butter sauce. It’s totally a win win!
- Baked Chicken Recipe: Simple 5-step method to bake chicken breast.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Preheat air fryer to 400F degrees. For my Air Fryer, I just turn it on to 400F for about 8 mins while I season the chicken. Using a towel paper, pat the chicken breasts dry and rub with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, add salt, dried oregano, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Mix all well.
- Using your hands, rub the mixture seasoning over both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken breasts inside the air fryer and set the cook time for 12 minutes.
- Open the Air Fryer basket and using a meat thermometer check the internal temperature of the chicken breasts. If they reach 160F degrees, it’s ready to eat, but if not cook for more 2 to 5 minutes. The time will depend on the thickness of your chicken breast. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!