Made with just five simple ingredients, you can make this Air Fryer Asparagus recipe in a jiffy! It only takes a couple of minutes to make and is super hands-off thanks to the air fryer. Perfectly crispy without needing a ton of oil, this is a healthy side dish that your whole family will love.
I love using my air fryer to make side dishes for dinner. It’s hands-off so I’m able to focus on making my main and the asparagus only needs a few seconds to cut and season. It definitely makes a busy weeknight less stressful when I don’t have to worry about how I’m going to get veggies on the table for my family as I try to juggle a bunch of things at once.
With the air fryer, the asparagus is so crispy without having to add a ton of oil. Even better, the air fryer doesn’t heat up the kitchen like my oven does when I roast my asparagus. Perfect for every occasion, this air fryer asparagus only takes a couple of minutes to make (yep! faster than the oven!) and comes out so tender and crisp, that your family will be reaching for seconds. Serve it with breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
However, the only downside is that if you’re feeding a crowd, you’ll have to cook this in batches as you can’t fit too much asparagus in the air fryer basket. For those occasions, try my Easy Roasted Asparagus in the oven instead!
Want more easy and delicious air fryer recipes? Try making my Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe, Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe or Air Fryer Potato Wedges. These chicken recipes are so easy to make in the air fryer and have been my latest go-to recipes.
How to Make Air Fryer Asparagus
- Fresh Asparagus — Look for asparagus stalks that are firm to the touch and aren’t floppy. They should be able to stand up. The spears should be tight and closed as well. If they are limp then they are past their prime. Got extra asparagus? Try making my Parmesan Lemon Asparagus Skillet or Quinoa Salad with Roasted Asparagus.
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper — Season to taste, keep in mind you can always add more salt and pepper after you air fry the asparagus.
- Parmesan cheese — I love to grate fresh Parmesan cheese. It adds a delicious savoury note to the asparagus.
- Extra virgin olive oil — A little oil goes a long way. You can also use a different oil of your choice.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
Prepare the Asparagus
- Cut off the ends of the asparagus about an inch up from the bottom. The ends are woody and aren’t pleasant to eat.
Transfer to the Air Fryer
- Place the asparagus in one layer inside your air fryer basket. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil, then, season with salt, black pepper, and parmesan.
- Air fryer at 400F degrees for 7 minutes. When done, top with more Parmesan cheese and serve the asparagus. Enjoy!
How to Trim Asparagus
Here’s the easiest way to trim your asparagus:
- Rinse your asparagus under cool water and pat dry.
- Grab one asparagus and snap the woody part off with your hand.
- Use the one asparagus as a template to cut the rest of the asparagus.
Is Air Fryer Asparagus Healthy?
Yes! You use so much less oil to roast asparagus in the air fryer than in the oven. You only need a tablespoon or less to coat the asparagus. Asparagus is also loaded with healthy nutrients, making it a great addition to any diet.
Recipes That You Can Serve with Air Fryer Asparagus
There are many times that recipes that go really well with air fryer asparagus. Here are some of my favourite main dishes that you should try making for dinner!
- Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Baked Pork Chops
- Garlic Butter Cod Fish Recipe
- Garlic Butter Lamb Chops Recipe
- Garlic Butter Shrimp Skillet Recipe
- Healthy Meatloaf Recipe
How to Store Air Fryer Asparagus
Store your air fryer asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last in the fridge for up to a week when stored correctly. You can reheat the asparagus in the air fryer so they stay crispy.
What Else Can I Add to the Asparagus?
Want to change things up? Here are some more add-ins for the asparagus:
- Sprinkle some freshly squeezed lemon juice before air frying.
- Add a few pieces of diced bacon into the air fryer.
- Add a kick to this with some cayenne powder or red chili flakes.
- Season with some smoked paprika for an extra smoky flavour.
- Not a fan of parmesan? Try using nutritional yeast instead.
- Use Herbes de Provence or Italian seasoning for a herby flavour.
Do I Have to Preheat My Air Fryer?
You can preheat your air fryer if you prefer or if your instruction manual requires it. It really depends on your model of air fryer!
More Asparagus Recipes To Try
- Garlic Shrimp Asparagus Skillet: A super-easy Garlic Shrimp Asparagus Skillet recipe that is low-carb, gluten-free, whole30, and paleo-friendly! Perfect for a busy weeknight since this one-pan meal will be ready in 20 minutes or so.
- Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast: This fast, easy, and delicious Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe is a perfect meal for a weeknight dinner. And, it only requires a handful of simple ingredients! You’ll be making this recipe in no time.
- Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet: This Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet recipe is a delicious, healthy, and easy-to-make meal that will be on your dinner table in less than 30 minutes. This is gluten-free, whole30, paleo, and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
What the Web Stories HERE.
Air Fryer Asparagus Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus ends trimmed
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cut off the ends of the asparagus about an inch up from the bottom.
- Place them up in one layer inside your air fryer. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the asparagus. Then, season them with salt, black pepper and parmesan.
- Turn the air fryer to 400F degrees, and set for 7 minutes. Once the time is up, remove the basket, top with more Parmesan cheese and serve the asparagus with grilled chicken. Enjoy!
- Do not skip trimming the asparagus. The woody ends are not pleasant to eat.
- When buying asparagus, make sure they are firm and the tips are tight.
- To store: Cooked asparagus will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- To reheat: You can reheat the asparagus in the air fryer until warm.
- To freeze: You can freeze cooked asparagus for up to 3 months in an airtight freezer-safe bag.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
Leave a Comment