The perfect addition to any holiday meal, this Creamy Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes is so easy to make. Made with simple wholesome ingredients, this mashed sweet potatoes recipe is rich and creamy without being a heavy side dish.
There are lots of holiday sweet potato recipes that uses marshmallows, brown sugar, and other additional sweet ingredients so I thought I’d share this delicious creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes recipe instead. It’s practically irresistible and the savory flavours of it really compliments every meal.
However, don’t feel like you can only make this for the holidays. This mashed sweet potato recipe is a great meal prep recipe as well as it keeps great in the fridge as well as freezes wonderfully. Give this a recipe a try the next time you meal prep and you’ll see just how versatile this sweet potato mash is!
Making sweet potato mash isn’t much different that making regular mashed potatoes as you just boil the potatoes and then mash them up afterwards. However, the secret ingredient really takes this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes up a notch. The sour cream that is stirred in at the end makes the mash so flavourful, creamy, and gives you a hit of tang. You’re not going to want to skip that!
Honestly, if I had to choose between this creamy mashed sweet potatoes or my Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe, I would not be able to pick! I love both of them and for variety, making both for the holiday season is usually my solution. Be sure to check out that recipe as well if you’re a fan of regular mashed potatoes.
How to Make this Creamy Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes — peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- Garlic — minced
- Butter — cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Fresh parsley for garnish
Prep and Cook the Potatoes
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil then add sweet potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cook until potatoes are tender.
- Drain then return the potatoes to the pot. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, garlic, butter and black pepper.
Make the Sweet Potato Mash
- Mash with a potato masher to your desired consistency. You can also use an electric hand mixer blend on low speed. Blend until smoother and creamy.
- Add sour cream and give a good stir. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley and more butter.
How to Choose the Right Sweet Potato and Prep Them.
How to Choose: The best sweet potatoes to purchase to make this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes are red and orange-skinned sweet potatoes as they have a creamier creamier texture. The skin should be firm and smooth with no bruising, soft spots, or blemishes.
How to Store: If you purchase your sweet potatoes for this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes a few days ahead of time, be sure to store them in a cool, dry, well ventilated out of direct sunlight and not in the fridge.
How to Prep: Peel sweet potatoes and remove the little knots from the potatoes with the tip of a potato peeler.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips for This Creamy Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
If you want to make this creamy savory mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time, do so and store in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. When reheating on the stove or microwave, you can add a splash of liquid in to loosen it up.
This is a freezer friendly recipe. Feel free to freeze (leftover) mashed sweet potatoes in airtight containers inside of your freezer and when ready to enjoy again, thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Tips and Notes for the Best Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Always start your potatoes in cold water and bring it up to a boil and don’t add the raw potatoes to boiling water. This helps the potatoes cook evenly and not fall apart/overcook.
- Be sure to fully drain your potatoes before you mash them. You don’t want it to be watery.
- While you don’t have to peel your sweet potatoes before cooking (if you scrub them clean), I prefer to peel them.
- You can mash your potatoes with a potato masher or a fork if you’re in a pinch. I prefer a hand blender for an even creamy consistently. You can also use a mixer as well.
More Side Dishes To Make
- Roasted Butternut Squash Mash
- Whole30 Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
- Brussels Sprouts Casserole Recipe
- Cauliflower Casserole Recipe
- Healthier Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Spicy Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Creamy Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes — peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt — divided
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 3 tablespoons butter — cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Fresh parsley for garnish — chopped
In a large pot, bring water to a boil then add sweet potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Cook until potatoes are tender.
Drain then return the potatoes to the pot. Add in 1 teaspoon of salt, garlic, butter and black pepper.
Mash with a potato masher to your desired consistency. You can also use an electric hand mixer blend on low speed. Blend until smoother and creamy.
Add sour cream and give a good stir. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh parsley and more butter.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/6) — Calories: 332, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 15mg, Sodium: 952mg, Potassium: 1042mg, Carbohydrates: 60g, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 13g, Protein: 5g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!