Spicy chicken and cabbage with zucchini is a meal prep recipe that takes just 15 minutes to prepare! This chicken and vegetables dinner is a quick and easy solution for a busy weeknight.
Can you cook raw chicken and vegetables together?
It is important to be careful when cooking poultry because it must be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid carrying salmonella.
So can you ever put raw chicken in a pan with any other food? Yes, you can.
You simply cook raw chicken and vegetables in the same pan at the same time. Then, ensure that everything is fully cooked before consuming it and you will be fine. However, there are times when the preparation methods differ.
For example, in this chicken and cabbage recipe, you want to crisp the skin on the chicken, and that is best done in a pan by itself. Additionally, you need space to toss the cabbage as it cooks. Also, the chicken and vegetables have different cooking times.
Chicken breast vs. chicken thighs – which is better?
Because of their higher fat content than breast pieces, some people believe chicken thighs are unhealthy. The truth is, the fat is healthy, monounsaturated fat. Your body requires this kind of fat to burn calories, as well as for heart health.
Also, the extra fat in thigh meat helps the chicken stay tender and juicy.
How long should I marinate chicken?
For this recipe, I recommend that the chicken sit in the marinade for at least 15 to 20 minutes. For even better flavor, allow it to marinate longer. You can prepare the meal in advance by mixing the chicken in the marinade the night before.
What if I want less spicy chicken and cabbage?
The combination of spices in this dish gives it a kick of spicy flavor. The main source of heat is the chili powder because is contains cayenne pepper. I don’t use a lot of chili powder, but you can adjust the spiciness of this dish several ways.
- Use more or less chili powder
- Replace chili powder with paprika. As a result, you will add a lot of flavor but no heat.
- Use oregano instead of chili powder
If you like spicier chicken, you can add hot sauces or cayenne pepper.
How do I meal prep chicken and cabbage?
You can use this meal prep recipe to make preparing dinner easier on a weeknight. Or, use it to make several days of healthy lunches. Either way, prepping ahead will save you a lot of time!
Simply prepare the marinade the night before and allow the chicken to marinate overnight. Prep the vegetables the night before as well. Cover and refrigerate them until it’s time to cook. The next day, cook the entire meal and serve it for dinner, or divide it into four containers. Now you have four healthy lunches or dinners, ready to go!
Other Meal Prep Recipes
- Meal Prep Recipe for Chicken and Vegetables
- Spicy Chicken Meal-Prep Bowls
- Chicken Fajita Meal-Prep Bowls
- Easy Roasted Veggies Meal-Prep Bowls
- Ground Turkey Cauliflower Rice Veggie Bowls (Meal-Prep)
- Teriyaki Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Cajun Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
- Thai Chicken Curry Meal Prep Bowls
Spicy Chicken with Sautéed Cabbage and Zucchini Bowls
For Spicy Chicken
For Cabbage and Zucchini
- 1 medium cabbage - 2 lb. trimmed
- 3 + 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 medium zucchinis - sliced
For Spicy Chicken
- In a large bowl, arrange chicken thighs and sprinkle with all of the chicken seasoning ingredients except for the olive oil. Mix everything well to combine and marinate for 15-30 minutes (or overnight).
- In a large skillet, add olive oil over medium-high heat. Place the chicken skin side down, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (75°C). Set chicken aside on a plate.
For Cabbage and Zucchini
- Place the cabbage on a cutting board and cut it in half. Thinly slice each side and discard the core.
- Place the sliced cabbage in a colander and rinse. Set aside to drain.
- In a large and deep skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Sauté for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender. Season according to your taste and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon of butter, zucchini, salt and pepper. Sauté until it’s tender.
- Meal-Prepping: Place an even amount of chicken, cabbage, and zucchini into 4 glass containers. Cover with the lid and place in the fridge for up 4 days. Heat in the microwave for about 1½-2 minutes. The time depends on the power of your microwave.
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!