This Fusilli with Mushroom and Roasted Butternut Squash is a delicious fall recipe for you and your family enjoy for a quick dinner. Easy and delicious!!
While you are reading this I will be landing in Chicago. YES, I am so excited to be able to spend the weekend in this beautiful city with my husband and one of my best friends Haydê. She already visited me few times in Toronto and now it is my turn. My husband has to travel to Chicago for work and I took this opportunity to visit my special friend. She is my childhood friend and has been living in USA for over 13 years. Now, she is attending Law school in Chicago. We grew up in Brazil and every time we are together it is so much fun because we always remember our funny experiences we had when we were children. I am sure we are going to have so much fun this weekend. So excited!!
But, before I left Toronto I made this simple and tasty Fusilli with mushroom and roasted butternut squash. This is the only way that my husband eats butternut squash without complaining. Yes, guys believe me he doesn’t like butternut squash. I know what question is crossing your mind now “who does like butternut squash?” I know, I know… he is so picky. This time I made it and he actually ate it ALL. I was so happy!!! Finally some delicious fall foods that he eats. Sorry, baby I am being mean with you. But you know I love you, right? 😉
So, this recipe is so easy to make but there are few things that I would like to point out:
- One important thing to do when you roast your butternut squash is to cut it into roughly the same size. The reason why I am saying that is because you want all the pieces to cook at the same time. If you cut them in different sizes, the smaller will cook faster than others and they will probably become soggy by the time the bigger pieces are ready.
- Another important tip is to add the chopped butter squash in a single layer to the baking sheet like I did with the Roasted Root Vegetable with Thyme recipe to avoid they become mushy.
- And finally, toss every single piece with olive oil, but making sure the pieces are coated on all sides because if not the sides that are not coated will be very dry.
- 2 cups whole wheat Fusilli pasta
- 2 + 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups, butter squash, diced
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili pepper
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Green onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C).
- In a bowl, add the butternut squash and toss with 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- In a roasting pan covered with parchment paper, spread the butternut squash out evenly and in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until tender. Stir once halfway through cooking time to promote even cooking and browning.
- Fill a large pot with salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the fusilli and cook according to the package instructions.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, mushroom and cherry tomatoes.
- Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add reserved fusilli and roasted butternut squash and stir well for 1 minute.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If necessary, adjust seasoning and add more olive oil to add more flavor.
- Garnish with chopped green onions
If you like this Fusilli with Mushroom and Roasted Butternut Squash recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More delicious Pasta recipes
I love this Whole Wheat Fusilli with Mussels because it is vey easy and quick to make, but it tastes like a very sophisticate dish.
This Pasta Salad with Lima Beans and Anchovies is a quick and healthy lunch meal for your busy weekdays.