This Ground Beef Taco Salad recipe will become your to-go meal when you want a quick and easy meal for lunch. It is loaded with tomato salsa, avocado slices, lettuces and of course taco seasoned ground beef. It’s gluten free, low-carb, dairy free, Whole30 and made in just 20 minutes!
Ground Beef Taco Salad is one of my favourite ways to eat salad and to taste the wonderful flavors of Mexican cuisine in a very healthy way. I say healthy because this salad it’s loaded with good ingredients and it’s very low in calories and carbs.
This salad is dairy-free and beanless, which makes a perfect salad recipe for those of you who are trying to eat more low-carb, paleo meals or doing Whole30. I love that this Ground Beef Taco Salad recipe has lots of veggies, healthy fats, protein-rich meat,it’s very colourful, quick to make and so tasty! And on top of that, this salad is so filling that you feel like you’re eating a full meal.
Can I use a store-brought salsa and taco seasoning in this salad?
Of course you can. But for this recipe to be Whole30, you’ll want to find a Whole30 approved salsa and approved taco seasoning like this one, which do not contain sugar or other ingredients that aren’t allowed on the Whole30 diet. If you’re not on the Whole30 diet, feel free to use your favourite salsa and taco seasoning brands!
Can I make this ground beef taco salad ahead of time?
Yes! Absolutely. I normally don’t make this salad ahead of time because I think it’s so easy and quick to make that I prefer to make 30 minutes before dinner. But if you prefer, you can make the salsa and the ground beef mixture ahead of time and store them in an airtight container (this one is my favourite food container storage) and place them in the fridge for up 4-5 days. When ready to eat, heat up the taco meat and add to your salad with the salsa.
What Goes in a Ground Beef Taco Salad?
You can basically add whatever food you’d normally have with tacos or other Mexican dishes. I recommend you add almost everything you love from Mexican dishes. But because I want to create a ground beef taco salad that is dairy-free, paleo and Whole30 friendly, I decided to not add cheese, sour cream and black beans in this salad.
In this ground beef taco salad you have:
- Organic Ground Beef
- Homemade Salsa (you can use a store-brought ones like this one)
- Avocado slices
- Chopped lettuces
- Lime juice for garnish
5 Other Salad Recipes that You Should Try:
You’ll love these 5 incredible salad recipes that I choose for you because they are just like a complete meal. You’ll feel satisfying and full of energy.
- Super Fresh Shrimp Tomato Salad
- Easy Mediterranean Salad
- Super Easy Avocado Cucumber Tuna Salad
- Grilled Chicken Avocado Salad
- Shrimp Avocado Tomato Salad
Ground Beef Taco Salad (Whole30, Paleo, Low-carb & Gluten-Free)
For the Taco Ground Beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 lbs lean ground beef — preferably grass-fed, organic
- 1 cup white onion — diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper — optional
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
For the Salsa
- 2 medium tomatoes — diced
- ¼ cup red onion — diced
- 1 green bell pepper — diced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno — chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- Fresh cilantro — chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove — minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad
- 4-6 cups romaine lettuce — chopped
- half avocado — sliced
- lime wedges – for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish
For the Taco Ground Beef
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over high heat. Add the ground beef and cook it until it gets completely brown. Set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add onion and bell pepper. Cook until onions are soft and translucent. It’s about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add all the spices (paprika, onion powder, coriander powder, chili powder, cumin powder, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper).
- Stir everything together and bring cooked ground beef to the pot. Give a stir and add chicken stock.
- Bring the ground beef mixture to a boil and then, lower the heat to low, cover with a lid and cook 30-60 min (the longer, the better), stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
For the Salsa
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
For the Salad
- In a large salad bowl, add lettuces, sliced avocado, salsa and half of the cooked ground beef.
- Squeeze some lime on top of the salad and season it with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 348, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 78mg, Sodium: 382mg, Potassium: 856mg, Carbohydrates: 18g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 26g, Vitamin C: 207.1%, Calcium: 60%, Iron: 4.7%
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
And if you like this Ground Beef Taco Salad recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.