Subscribe to receive new recipes!
Taste more! Sign up and you'll be getting to your inbox brand new content weekly such as recipes, cooking tips, videos and my FREE E-COOKBOOK.
This Baked Chicken Parmesan is light version of the traditional Italian recipes, because it’s made in the oven instead of frying. It’s also ultra-easy during your busy weeknight.
This baked chicken parmesan just became one of our favorite dinner recipes because it’s very flavourful and it doesn’t need to be fried. It goes in the oven for 20 minutes and even though it’s baked, it gets very crispy without being greasy, which is all we are looking for.
The chicken itself with the breadcrumbs, panko and Parmesan is already good, but to elevate even more the flavour of this Baked Chicken Parmesan you’ll top it with your favorite tomato sauce and lots of mozzarella cheese. Mm… So yummy! The week that I made this recipe was very busy since my baby boy was sick and for this reason I used a good-quality store-bought tomato sauce. Of course if you have time to make your own sauce, please go ahead and check out this quick tomato sauce recipe. I also used part-skim Mozzarella cheese to reduce the amount of calories in this recipe.
This dish can be served with any pasta of your preference, zucchini noodles, bread or even roasted veggies if you are trying to eat less during dinnertime. So, as you can see you have lots of options here. Go ahead and try this recipe and let me know how it turned out. I would love to see your version.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 12 ounces each
- ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 ounces part-skim mozzarella
- ½ cup tomato sauce, plus extra for serving as desired
- Chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly coat a medium baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pound each peace of chicken breast to an even ½-inch thickness. Set aside.
- In a wide and shallow bowl (It can be a pie dish, a casserole and even a plate), add Italian breadcrumbs, Panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix all the ingredients well to combine.
- In a separate and small bowl, whisk the egg whites until lightly foamy.
- On your counter top arrange your work: place first the pounded chicken, then egg whites, followed by the breadcrumb mixture, and finally the baking sheet.
- Dip the one chicken breast into the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs (make sure the crumbs stick all sides) and then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat the process to the other chicken breasts.
- Lightly coat the tops of the chicken with baking spray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven, spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce over each piece of chicken, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil or parsley before serving. You can serve it over pasta or zucchini noodles.
If you like this Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you wanna taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google +, Instagram and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, you are really appreciated for stopping by.
More Chicken Recipes: