Simplify your weeknight dinner with this Mushroom Chicken Breast Recipe. This requires little effort and it is very flavourful. Make this recipe in only 20 minutes!
Chicken dinners don’t need to be complicated. All you really need are healthy veggies and a few spices for flavor. So, if you’re looking for more chicken breast recipes, check these out: Baked Chicken Breast Recipe, and One-Pan Chicken Breast, Mushroom and Cabbage (Meal-Prep).
This recipe is great because everything is cooked in the same pan, so it comes together quickly and you aren’t left with a pile of dirty dishes to clean afterwards. These types of recipes are always easy and quick to prepare. So, it is perfect for a busy family who still wants to eat homemade food at dinner even when they don’t have a lot of time to cook.
Add an easy side of your favorite rice or a tossed green salad to make it a complete meal.
How to make this mushroom chicken breast recipe
Just brown the chicken in a skillet, saute the mushrooms in garlic butter, and serve with some garnish. It’s that simple!
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts – You can also use chicken thighs, but you’ll need to increase the cook time. It should take 15-20 minutes for boneless and 25-30 minutes for bone-in.
- Spices: onion powder, dried oregano, paprika, salt and pepper
- Olive oil – Replace with any neutral cooking oil such as canola, avocado, or sunflower.
- White mushrooms – Cremini or Bella varieties would also work well.
- Fresh parsley
One thing that always makes me happy and excited is to find new recipes that are delicious, healthy recipes that are easy to make (like the one I am sharing today).
If you are like me, you probably will agree that nothing is better than a homemade chicken recipe for dinner during busy weeknights. So, let’s make this recipe together.
Prep the ingredients
- Set the chicken breasts on a cutting board and pat both sides dry.
- Lightly press the top of each breast with the palm of your hand and slice in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. This makes them thinner so they will cook faster.
- Combine the chicken and spices in a large bowl. Toss until all pieces are coated evenly.
- Slice the mushrooms and set aside.
Cook the chicken
- Heat the oil in a skillet, then arrange the butterflied chicken breasts in single layer.
- Cook until browned on both sides and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken and place on a plate for later.
Saute the mushrooms
- Heat a little more oil in the same pan, then cook the mushrooms until they brown.
- Melt the butter in the pan and mix in the garlic. Stir everything together to coat the mushrooms.
Finish and serve
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add the chicken back to the pan and combine with the mushrooms.
- Top with fresh parsley, then serve the chicken breasts with the mushrooms spooned over the top.
Frequently asked questions
Can I replace the mushrooms with a different vegetable?
If you are allergic to mushrooms or simply don’t like them, you can easily substitute them for something else.
Here are a few options that will also taste great in garlic butter:
- Yellow summer squash
- Green beans
Does this recipe work for meal prep?
Absolutely! Just divide the chicken and mushrooms evenly between your prep containers. Add some cooked rice or mashed cauliflower as well to make a complete meal.
You may want to slice the chicken breasts first to make reheating easier.
Storage and reheating
Transfer the chicken and mushrooms to an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat everything together in the microwave or on the stove until the chicken is warmed through.
Add a little extra melted butter to the mushrooms as needed.
More chicken breast recipes:
For another one pan chicken recipe, try my One Sheet Roasted Chicken and Vegetables. It’s cooked in the oven instead of on the stove, but it’s just as easy to make.
Otherwise, take a look at these other delicious dinner ideas:
- Grilled Chicken Cabbage Salad
- Rosemary Lemon Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Sun-Dried Tomato, Spinach, and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
More mushroom recipes to try:
- Pan Seared Steak with Mushrooms
- Easy Garlic Butter Mushroom Skillet
- Mushroom Cauliflower Rice Skillet Recipe
- Sausage Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
You can eat this recipe as a main course because it’s very satisfying with the mushrooms, but if you prefer, you can have it with delicious fluffy rice, or some pasta or roasted veggies. Mmm… yummy! I also shouldn’t forget about the salad. This Mushroom Chicken Breast Recipe goes really well with any type of salad like quinoa salads, beans salad and of course green salad. Enjoy!
Mushroom Chicken Breast Recipe
- 3 free range organic boneless chicken breasts — cut in half lengthwise to become 6 thin fillets.
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper — to taste
- 1 +1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz white mushrooms — sliced
- 3 tbsp butter — or ghee for Paleo and Whole30
- 3 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley — chopped
Pat chicken breasts dry with paper towel. In a bowl, add chicken breast, the onion powder, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Mix well to season the chicken breasts evenly.
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Place chicken breasts and sear until browned on each side. It’ll take about 5 minutes each side, depending on thickness of the chicken breasts. Transfer to a plate; set aside and keep warm.
In the same skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and cook until they get brown and crispy.
Add the butter and garlic. Sauté until fragrant. It’s about 1 minute.
Return chicken to the pan. Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately with cauliflower rice or regular rice and green salad.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/4) — Calories: 237, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 70mg, Sodium: 456mg, Potassium: 867mg, Carbohydrates: 4g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 18g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
If you like this Mushroom Chicken Breast Recipe recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.