This Instant Pot chicken stew recipe makes a rich, hearty chicken dinner. Make this healthy and delicious meal for dinner tonight in only 25 minutes!
Thanks to your electric pressure cooker, making comfort foods like this one take minutes instead of hours, like how this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Kale Beef Soup only takes 30 minutes.
Despite the short cooking time, this chicken stew is full of flavor and the meat is incredibly tender.
Plus, this dinner is wholesome and healthy! With boneless skinless chicken breast, potatoes, and healthy veggies, it provides plenty of protein, vitamins, nutrients, and healthy fats. There really isn’t anything better than a big bowl of stew! Want to try another stew? Try my Cabbage and Sausage Stew and Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
Ingredients for Instant Pot chicken stew
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – White meat chicken is leaner than dark, so that is what I use. If you prefer dark meat, feel free to use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Baby potatoes – You want to use waxy potatoes with thin skin rather than starchy potatoes like russets. As a result, they are less likely to fall apart and become mushy during cooking. Using baby potatoes will cut down on your prep time. However, if all you have hand are large potatoes, they will be fine. Just cut them into smaller pieces to ensure that they cook completely.
- Carrots – You can either slice large carrots into 2-inch pieces, or use baby carrots.
- Onion – I use white onion, but you could use also yellow or red onion. Be sure to chop it finely, but not so small that it disintegrates under pressure.
- Tomato sauce – Any plain or Italian flavor tomato sauce will taste great in your chicken stew. NOTE: To keep the recipe Whole30 compliant, be sure to use sugar-free tomato sauce.
- Chicken stock or broth – If you need to monitor your intake of salt, use low sodium stock.
- Olive oil – I use extra virgin olive oil. If you need a substitute, any neutral flavor of unsaturated fat will work just fine.
- Low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos – The coconut aminos is what you will need to use to keep the recipe gluten free.
- Minced garlic
- Seasonings – Kosher or sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, and some Italian seasoning.
To make the stew:
- Set your Instant Pot to “saute” and allow it to get hot before adding the oil.
- When the oil is shimmering, add your onion and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so the onions don’t burn. Next, add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, or until the onions become translucent.
- Add the chicken breast and everything else except for the potatoes and carrots. Then, give everything a quick stir.
- Place the carrots and potatoes in last so they are less likely to sink to the bottom. This will prevent them from becoming too soggy.
- Turn off the saute mode, place the lid on the Instant Pot, and manually set it to cook on high for 6 minutes. It will take a few minutes to come to pressure first, but not too long because the pot is already hot.
- When the cook time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Finish with a quick release and your Instant Pot chicken stew will be ready to serve!
Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container and enjoy them within 5 days.
You can reheat the chicken stew in a pot on the stove top, in a microwave, or even using the saute function on your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot chicken stew is best when it’s fresh. I don’t recommend freezing it, simply because the vegetables are likely to become too mushy when you thaw and reheat them.
More Instant Pot Recipes to Try:
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe (Whole30 & Paleo)
- Instant Pot Short Ribs Recipe
- Instant Pot Keto Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cup white onion - chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts - 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce - sugar-free for Whole30
- 2 large carrots - chopped
- 2 cups baby potatoes - cut in half
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or chives - optional
- Preheat your Instant Pot using the SAUTE function on the display panel.
- Add olive oil, onion and garlic. Stir every couple minutes until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken breast and cook for about 5 minutes. Add dried Italian seasoning, onion powder, fine sea salt, ground black pepper, coconut aminos, low sodium chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Give everything a stir and then add carrot and potatoes. It’s better to leave the veggies on top of the chicken liquid, so they don’t get soggy.
- Place the lid on the pot and make sure the pressure valve is in the sealing position.
- On the display panel, press the cancel/off button. Then select the MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK button and use the +/- buttons until the display says 6 minutes.
- When time is up, naturally release for 5 minutes before switching the pressure valve to the venting position. Open the lid and serve. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!
Watch the Web Story HERE!