Healthy Instant Pot chicken noodle soup is so quick and easy to make, you can whip it up in just 35 minutes using only 11 ingredients. This warm, comforting soup features mirepoix veggies in savory chicken broth with simple seasonings, delicious shredded chicken and hearty egg noodles.
You can’t go wrong with a classic Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup for dinner. It’s something the whole family will love and it’ll appease the pickiest of eaters.
When you want an ultimate comfort food/soup and you want it fast, the pressure cooker or Instant Pot comes in super handy!
Be sure to check out my Instant Pot Taco Soup, Instant Pot Southwest Chicken Soup, Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup or mouthwatering Instant Pot Sweet Potato Kale Beef Soup. All four of these flavor-packed recipes are so good and make the perfect, easy meal.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken thighs — Skin on, bone in. Be sure to trim extra fat from the meat! If you don’t have it, you can replace it for chicken breasts. Although I honest think you should make this recipe with chicken thighs because it brings a lot more flavor to the soup.
- Seasonings — I keep things simple with a little kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, but you can experiment with other seasonings/herbs if desired.
- Extra virgin olive oil — You can also substitute avocado oil.
- Mirepoix vegetables — White onion, medium carrots and stalks celery.
- Chicken broth — Vegetable broth will also work fine.
- Bay leaf — for an extra flavorful soup.
- Egg noodles — I always like to buy the extra wide option because they’re so delicious.
- Freshly chopped parsley — Parsley is a nice addition to this soup because it adds beautiful color and aroma!
- Power up your Instant Pot and choose the sauté option, then generously season both sides of each chicken thigh with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil into the Instant Pot and then sear chicken for 2-3 minutes per side, remove chicken from the pot and set to the side.
- Add diced onion, carrots and celery to the instant pot and saute for 3-4 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
Pressure cook soup:
- Add chicken back to the Instant Pot along with broth, seasonings and a bay leaf.
- Secure lid atop the instant pot and make sure it’s locked. Choose the soup option and add 10 minutes to the timer. If your Instant Pot doesn’t have soup option, just set it on high pressure.
- When the timer runs outs, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, and then switch the valve to quick release. Once all pressure has released, remove lid from the pot.
- Take chicken out of the pot and place it on a cutting board. Shred and separate meat from skin, fat and bones (these can be discarded along with the bay leaf).
- Stir egg noodles into the hot broth, then turn the sauté function back on for around 5 minutes to cook the noodles and return shredded chicken to the pot.
- Add some freshy chopped parsley to your soup, for extra color, ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!
- If you want to save some extra time, look for a pre-chopped onion, carrot and celery mix in the produce section at the grocery store!
- Chop your vegetables up into nice bite-size pieces. This will make your soup taste even better because you’ll get a little bit of each veggie in every bite.
- If you don’t have egg noodles, you can substitute a different type. Just note that you’ll likely need to extend cook time (egg noodles cook super fast).
- Start slow with the salt and add more at the end if necessary! It’s easier to add more seasonings, but hard to fix an overly salted soup.
- Feel free to play around with other seasonings. Dried/crushed rosemary, thyme or Italian seasonings would both be delicious additions. Also you can add some minced garlic and even spinach for some extra nutrients.
- Also, before serving, squeeze a little bit of lemon juice on top of you soup. So yummy!
How To Store Leftovers
- To Store: Allow Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup leftovers to cool and place them in an airtight container. Storage in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
- To Freeze: I don’t recommend freezing chicken soup unless you plan ahead and leave out the noodles (and add them later when reheating). If you freeze pasta, it will become mushy when thawed. If you do freeze this soup, without the noodles, it will keep for about 3 months!
- To Reheat: reheat your soup in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop until warmed through completely.
More Quick Chicken Recipes
Have chicken to use up? I’ve got tons of recipes for you to try, and all of these options take around 30 minutes so you can get dinner on the table fast.
- Chicken Stroganoff
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Mushroom Recipe
- White Chicken Chili
- Dutch Oven Chicken Noodle Soup
Frequently Asked Questions
I love using egg noodles in my chicken soup! You can really use anything you’ve got on hand, but nice hearty egg noodles taste so yummy and they go perfectly with shredded chicken, broth and veggies.
There is no need to cook your noodles before adding them to this soup. Once they’re stirred into the hot broth they’ll soften quickly!
If you find that your chicken is tough, you probably just need to cook it a few minutes longer. This will help it to shred up more easily.
- 2 pounds skin-on bone-in chicken thighs trimmed of excess skin or fat
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 ounces 3 cups wide egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select the "Sauté" function. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Add olive oil at the IP and chicken thighs. Sear the chicken and then set it aside.
- Add onion, carrots and celery and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Return the chicken thighs to the pot and pour in the chicken broth. Add the bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Lock the lid in place and select the "Soup" function. Set the timer for 10 minutes. After the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the pot and shred them with two forks. Discard the skin and bone. Set the shredded chicken aside. Remove the bay leaf from the pot and discard it too.
- Add the egg noodles to the pot and stir to combine. Select the "Sauté" function and cook for about 5-7 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked and tender.
- Return the shredded chicken to the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley, if desired.
- To save time, look for a pre-chopped mirepoix veggie mix in the produce section.
- Chop vegetables into small, even pieces. This will make your soup taste even better because you’ll get a little bit of everything in each bite.
- If you don’t have egg noodles, you can substitute other types of pasta. Adjust cook time as needed.
- Start slow with the salt and add more at the end, if necessary!
- Feel free to add other seasonings, if desired.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.