This Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe requires only 6 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep, and is a healthy, easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
The first part of this post was originally published on January 23rd, 2017.
Since the beginning of January, my husband and I have been trying to eat even healthier than before by reducing the amount of sugar in our diet and also eating out less often. So far, so good! Sometimes I feel a huge desire to eat a white chocolate bar or maple cookies because those two things are my weaknesses. Last year, I used to eat white chocolate 3 times a week, but now I am having it only once a month. Pretty good for a girl like me! Believe me.
Since I am on maternity leave, I’m always preparing and eating my meals at home, and I’ve been doing a lot of meal prep on Sundays for my husband to take to work. Because my time is very tight with my 11-month-old boy requiring a lot of my time, I have a tendency to make one-pan meals using a skillet, pan sheet, or slow cooker. It’s just easier and quicker to make, right?
Last week, I made this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe, and we had it for a few days. Even my baby Thomas enjoyed it a lot. He loves sweet potatoes, and the chicken was very tender, which made it easier for him to eat. However, sweet potatoes cook very fast, and they tend to be a little soggy if you cook them for a long time.
So, if you think your sweet potatoes are already cooked after 3 hours, remove them from the slow cooker, and continue cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. Of course, each slow cooker has a different power. Maybe in 3 hours your sweet potatoes and the chicken will be cooked through but maybe not. So, after 3 hours of cooking, check the sweet potatoes and then the chicken every 30 minutes.
The second part of this post was updated on July 25, 2018 with new pictures and more information about the recipe.
Tips to make this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe:
- This recipe cooks in 4 hours on low heat. But after 4 hours, the sweet potato tends to be very tender. So, if you don’t like super-tender sweet potatoes, add the sweet potato during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- If you don’t have much time, you can skip the step of searing the chicken. But it’s important to know that the chicken won’t have the brown colour you see in the pictures.
- Although in the recipe instructions below, it says to cook on low heat for 4 hours, check your recipe after 3 hours of cooking. Your recipe may be ready in less than 4 hours because it depends on the size of your chicken and the sweet potatoes, too.
- I prefer to use chicken thighs with the bone in my slow cooker because the chicken bone releases natural gelatine, creating a delicious bone broth, which is so good for your health and adds much more flavour to this dish.
More healthy slow cooker recipes to try:
- Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew: This stew is very simple, low-carb, and gluten-free. It’s made with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and herbs.
- Slow Cooker Beet Chili: This recipe is all about the delicious combination of the sweetness of the beets and spicy flavours found in a traditional chili recipe.
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna: This lasagna is going to become your favorite lasagna recipe not only because I used zucchini instead of noodles but also made it in the slow cooker.
- Super Easy Slow Cooker Chili: This chili is packed with beans, veggies, and spices. This is a perfect hearty and spicy meal for dinner.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili: Made with a mixture of extra-lean ground turkey, sweet potatoes, onions, and bell peppers, this recipe is perfect for a cold evening.
See below for how to make this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato (Meal Prep)
In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and ghee.
While the ghee is melting, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
Add the chicken, skin-side-down, and sear both sides until golden brown. Set the chicken aside.
- Grease the slow cooker pot with cooking spray, and place the sweet potatoes into it.
Stir in the garlic and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken to the slow cooker in an even layer.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
If you think your sweet potato is already cooked after 2-3 hours, remove the sweet potato to avoid it becoming soggy. Continue cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary before serving.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/6) — Calories: 372, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 71mg, Sodium: 125mg, Carbohydrates: 23g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Protein: 15g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
If you like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.