This Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato only requires 6 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep and it is a healthy, and easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
The first part of this post was first published on January 23rd, 2017.
Since the beginning of January, my husband and I are trying to eat even healthier than before by trying to reduce the amount of sugar in our diet and also eating out less often. So far so good! Sometimes I feel the huge desire to eat a white chocolate bar or maple cookies because those two things are my weakness. Last year, I used to eat white chocolate 3 times a week, but now I am just having it once a month. Pretty good for a girl like me! Believe me.
Since I am on maternity leave, I’m always preparing and eating my meals here at home and I’ve been doing a lot of meal prep on Sundays for my husband to bring to work. Because my time is very tight (my 11 months boy requires a lot of my time), I have a tendency to make one-pan meals using a skillet, a pan sheet, or slow cooker. It’s just easier and quicker to make, right?
Last week, I made this slow cooker chicken and sweet potato recipe and we had it for a few days. Even my baby Thomas enjoyed it a lot. He loves sweet potato and the chicken was very tender, which made it easier for him to eat. However, sweet potatoes cook very fast and they tend to be a little soggy if you cook them for a long time.
So, if you think your sweet potato is already cooked after 3 hours, I suggest removing the sweet potato from the slow cooker and keep cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. Of course, each slow cooker has a different power. Maybe in three hours your sweet potato and the chicken will be cooked through, but maybe not. So, after three hours of cooking, check the sweet potato and then the chicken every 30 minutes.
This post was first published on January 23rd, 2017, but this second part of this post was updated on July 25, 2018 with new pictures and more information about the recipe
Tips to make this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe:
- This recipe cooks in 4 hours on low heat. But, in 4 hours the sweet potato tends to be very tender. So, if you don’t like a super tender sweet potato’s, you can add the sweet potato during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- If you don’t have time to sear in oil in a skillet the chicken before adding into the slow cooker, you can skip this step. But it’s important you know that the chicken won’t have the brown looking you see on the pictures
- Although on the recipe instructions below, it says to cook on low-heat for 4 hours, check your recipe after 3 hours of cooking. Your recipe may be ready in less than 4 hours because it will depend on the size of your chicken and the sweet potato too.
- I prefer to use skinless chicken thighs with the bone in when I’m using my slow-cooker because the chicken bone releases its natural gelatine, creating a delicious bone broth, which is so good for your health and adds much more flavour to this dish.
More Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes to Try:
- Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew: is a very simple and it’s low-carb and gluten-free. It’s made with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnip, and herbs.
- Slow Cooker Beet Chili: This recipe is all about the delicious combination of the sweetness of the beets and spicy flavors that can be found in a traditional chili recipe.
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna: This lasagna is going to become your favorite lasagna recipe not only because I used zucchini instead of noodles, but also made in the slow cooker.
- Super Easy Slow Cooker Chili: It is packed with beans, veggies, and spice. This is a perfect hearty and spicy meal for dinner.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili: It is made with a mixture of extra-lean ground turkey, sweet potato, onion, bell pepper
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato (Meal Prep)
This Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato only requires 6-ingredient, 10 minutes to prep and it is a healthy and easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 2 tablespoon ghee
• 6 free range organic Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
• ½ tsp. sea salt
• ¼ tsp. pepper
• Cooking oil spray
• 1.5 lbs. sweet potatoes, cut in small pieces
• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (save some for garnishing)
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
- In a skillet over medium high add olive oil and butter.
- While the butter is melting, season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add chicken, skin-side down, and sear both sides until golden brown. Set chicken aside.
- Grease the slow cooker pot with cooking spray and place sweet potatoes into it.
- Stir in garlic and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken to the slow cooker in an even layer.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- If you think your sweet potato is already cooked after 3 hours, remove the sweet potato to avoid it from becoming soggy and keep cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary before serving.
More slow cooker recipes HERE. They are all healthy, delicious and great as leftovers.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page here.
Yield: 4-6, Serving Size: 1/6
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 372
- Total Fat: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Sodium: 125mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 15g
If you make this recipe, please don't forget to snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I really want to see!
Products Featured in this Recipe:
(may include affiliate links)
If you like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe, please share with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Google+, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipes updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.