This Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe requires only 6 ingredients, 10 minutes to prep, and is a healthy, easy meal-prep recipe for during the week!
The first part of this post was originally published on January 23rd, 2017.
Since the beginning of January, my husband and I have been trying to eat even healthier than before by reducing the amount of sugar in our diet and also eating out less often. So far, so good! Sometimes I feel a huge desire to eat a white chocolate bar or maple cookies because those two things are my weaknesses. Last year, I used to eat white chocolate 3 times a week, but now I am having it only once a month. Pretty good for a girl like me! Believe me.
Since I am on maternity leave, I’m always preparing and eating my meals at home, and I’ve been doing a lot of meal prep on Sundays for my husband to take to work. Because my time is very tight with my 11-month-old boy requiring a lot of my time, I have a tendency to make one-pan meals using a skillet, pan sheet, or slow cooker. It’s just easier and quicker to make, right? Slow cooker recipes are such a life saver, like my Slow Cooker Italian Sausage and Peppers, Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili, Super Easy Slow Cooker Chili, and Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe! You just throw everything in and dinner will be ready.
Last week, I made this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe, and we had it for a few days. Even my baby Thomas enjoyed it a lot. He loves sweet potatoes, and the chicken was very tender, which made it easier for him to eat. However, sweet potatoes cook very fast, and they tend to be a little soggy if you cook them for a long time.
So, if you think your sweet potatoes are already cooked after 3 hours, remove them from the slow cooker, and continue cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. Of course, each slow cooker has a different power. Maybe in 3 hours your sweet potatoes and the chicken will be cooked through but maybe not. So, after 3 hours of cooking, check the sweet potatoes and then the chicken every 30 minutes.
Subscribe for new recipes & a free e-cookbook
The second part of this post was updated on July 25, 2018 with new pictures and more information about the recipe.
Tips to make this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe:
- This recipe cooks in 4 hours on low heat. But after 4 hours, the sweet potato tends to be very tender. So, if you don’t like super-tender sweet potatoes, add the sweet potato during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- If you don’t have much time, you can skip the step of searing the chicken. But it’s important to know that the chicken won’t have the brown colour you see in the pictures.
- Although in the recipe instructions below, it says to cook on low heat for 4 hours, check your recipe after 3 hours of cooking. Your recipe may be ready in less than 4 hours because it depends on the size of your chicken and the sweet potatoes, too.
- I prefer to use chicken thighs with the bone in my slow cooker because the chicken bone releases natural gelatine, creating a delicious bone broth, which is so good for your health and adds much more flavour to this dish.
More healthy slow cooker recipes to try:
- Healthier Slow Cooker Beef Stew: This stew is very simple, low-carb, and gluten-free. It’s made with potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, and herbs.
- Slow Cooker Beet Chili: This recipe is all about the delicious combination of the sweetness of the beets and spicy flavours found in a traditional chili recipe.
- Slow Cooker Zucchini Lasagna: This lasagna is going to become your favorite lasagna recipe not only because I used zucchini instead of noodles but also made it in the slow cooker.
- Super Easy Slow Cooker Chili: This chili is packed with beans, veggies, and spices. This is a perfect hearty and spicy meal for dinner.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili: Made with a mixture of extra-lean ground turkey, sweet potatoes, onions, and bell peppers, this recipe is perfect for a cold evening.
See below for how to make this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe:
Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato (Meal Prep)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 6 organic bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary save some for garnishing
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and ghee.
- While the ghee is melting, season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chicken, skin-side-down, and sear both sides until golden brown. Set the chicken aside.
- Grease the slow cooker pot with cooking spray, and place the sweet potatoes into it.
- Stir in the garlic and rosemary, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker in an even layer.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- If you think your sweet potato is already cooked after 2-3 hours, remove the sweet potato to avoid it becoming soggy. Continue cooking the chicken for one hour more or until it is cooked through. The chicken is cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary before serving.
- If you love the combo of poultry and sweet potatoes, you will fall in love with these recipes too: Asparagus Sweet Potato Chicken Skillet and Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet.
- More slow cooker recipes HERE. They are all healthy, delicious and great as leftovers.
- In order for the chicken to get that browned skin, you need to sear the chicken first. Just cooking in the slow cooker will not provide the chicken with the browned skin.
- Feel free to use a different fresh herb such as thyme if you do not have rosemary.
- Check the thickest part of the chicken with the thermometer for the best results.
- To store: Store leftover chicken and sweet potatoes in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- To reheat: You can reheat in the microwave when ready to eat.
- To freeze: You can freeze chicken and sweet potatoes in a freezer-safe bag or container for up to 3 months.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
If you like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Do you want to taste more? Try my 50 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes! Or, subscribe to my newsletter, and follow Primavera Kitchen on Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for all delicious recipe updates. As always, I really appreciate you stopping by.
Leave a Comment