Find out how to cook salmon in the oven with this super simple baked method. Quick, easy, healthy and delicious!
I’ve been cooking salmon for years as you can see on my salmon category recipes. Here you’ll find lots of salmon recipes that are great for weeknight dinners. Salmon recipes with melted butter, olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, fresh herbs and lots of seasonings.
Today, I’m sharing with you my easy, simple tips on how to cook salmon. If you want a delicious, healthy and easy meal for dinner during the week, this baked salmon recipe is perfect for you.
But first, I want to answer a few questions that are often asked about how to bake salmon and how to cook salmon.
- How can salmon be cooked?
- Pan frying
- Stir frying
- How to cook frozen salmon
- How do you know when salmon is done?
- What should I serve with salmon?
- Should I cook salmon with the skin off or on?
- How to reheat cooked salmon
- Place the leftovers in a zip top storage bag and remove any excess air before sealing it.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then turn off the heat, but leave the pot on the burner.
- As soon as the water stops boiling, carefully place the bag of leftovers into the water. To prevent water from entering the bag, try to keep the zipper top above the surface of the water.
- Allow the bag to sit in the hot water for 8 to 10 minutes. As it sits there, the water will gently reheat the fish!
Now, let’s get back to our recipe!
Baked salmon recipe
Because it’s so versatile, this is the kind of recipe to keep in your book for any occasion. Season with your favourite kinds of seasoning and bake at 375˚F for 10 to 15 minutes! Serve with delicious salad, roasted veggies, rice or mashed potatoes/cauliflower and make some dips and spreads. Wow so good!
Salmon is already a very flavourful fish and for this reason all seasonings you use to cook salmon in the oven will enhance even more the flavours.
My favourite seasonings to cook salmon with are: coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, paprika, Cajun seasoning and some fresh herbs like fresh parsley, oregano, or dill. Mm… Delicious!
How long to bake salmon
It depends on the size and thickness of your salmon fillet. If your fillet is thick, I would say about 15 minutes in the oven at 375ºF. But if it is a normal size, I would say about 12-13 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
How to cook salmon in the oven
I make this oven baked salmon recipe for weeknight meal very often. We all love it especially my little one. I love making this recipe because it’s very simple to make and it takes about 10 minutes to cook, depending on the thickness of your salmon. So, here is how I make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and place a rack in the middle of the oven. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or if you prefer just use a cast iron skillet like a did. Remove salmon from the fridge and pat the salmon fillets with a paper towel to dry. This way olive oil will stick easily on top of the salmon.
2. Place salmon (skin-side down – this is very important) in the baking sheet or cast iron skillet. Next, drizzle some oil over the top of each salmon fillet. Here you can use a pastry brush or your fingers to rub the oil all over the salmon.
3. Season the salmon filets with salt, pepper and paprika (or Cajun seasoning) and transfer to the oven.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes. It’s hard to say a precise cooking time, because it all depends on the thickness of your filets. So, check it after 10 minutes . If it’s not done cook for more 3 or 5 minutes.
5. Salmon is done when it reaches a minimum internal temperature of 145˚F. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. You also know if it’s ready when the salmon flakes easily with a fork. Before serving top with some fresh parsley.
Other ways to cook salmon:
- Easy Salmon Salad Recipe
- Easy Cedar Plank Salmon Recipe
- Spicy Salmon Sweet Potato Skillet
- Low-Carb Salmon Burgers with Avocado Coleslaw
- Spicy Salmon Vegetable Meal-Prep Bowls
- 4-Ingredient Pomegranate Glazed Salmon
- Spicy Butter Salmon in Foil Recipe
- Foil Baked Salmon Recipe
How to Cook Salmon in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 375°Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or just use a cast iron skillet.
Remove salmon from the fridge and pat the salmon fillets with a paper towel.
Season with salt, pepper and paprika (or Cajun seasonin and transfer to the oven.
Bake for 10-15 minutes. Time depends on the thickness of your salmon. So, check it after 10 minutes in the oven.
Salmon is done when it gets at the minimum internal temperature of 145˚F. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. You also know if it’s ready when the salmon flakes easily with a fork.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1/3) — Calories: 283, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 79mg, Sodium: 451mg, Potassium: 719mg, Protein: 28g
If you make this recipe, follow @primaverakitchen on Instagram, snap a photo and hashtag it #primaverakitchen. I'd love to see what you're making!